Twenty One - An Old Friend

“The world is changed” the voice Lady Galadriel called to me.

“I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air,” She continued. 

“Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it,” 

The fires of Mount Doom exploded as I stood on the rocky ledge, looking down at the flames and lava below. 

“Verena Tempest!” I spun around to see Lady Galadriel. “Why are we here?!” I shouted in Elvish above the roars of the fire. “I came to warn you,” She started. “You must be careful in the Shire. Something dark resides there that wasn't in place before,” She warned.

“What is it?” I asked. “You already know,”

An explosion was set off and I sat straight up in the wagon. “What the bloody-” I stopped myself when I looked back at Gandalf and a Hobbit. I turned back to see children laughing. 

Those damn fireworks. 

“How nice of you to join us,” Gandalf said as I turned completely around to them. “I would have sooner if you had woken me,” I huffed. “You looked rather concentrated on your dream,” He said. 

“Ver, this is Frodo Baggins, Bilbo’s nephew,” He introduced him. “Hello, Frodo,” I smiled. “And Frodo, this is Verena Tempest,” The wizard continued. Frodo looked at me quickly. “You're the Tempest in Bilbo’s stories,” He smiled. “What stories does he tell?” I asked. 

“Trolls, spiders, Orcs, Dwarves, and Elves,” He answered. “Sounds about right,” I chuckled. “Did you really end the battle?” He asked. “Not without help,” I answered quickly. “Bilbo says you turned nearly all the Orcs of the battle ground to ash,” He said. 

“My cousin named it an inferno,” I said. “So you did!” he announced in a laugh. “Anything your uncle told you?” I asked. He went on to tell me about the trolls we fought, the Elves capturing them, how they escaped, and some about the Orcs we ran from.

“I have to go meet my friend, Sam. It was great meeting you, Ver,” Frodo said as he stood. “And you, Frodo,” I smiled. He jumped off the wagon and ran through a clearing. I got up and took his spot next to Gandalf, who looked at me. 

“You look on edge,” he commented. “It was my dream,” I replied. “What about it?” He asked. “Lady Galadriel warned me,” I started. “She said there is something dark in the Shire that wasn’t here before,”

~~~

“No, thank you! We don’t want any more visitors, well-wishers or distant relations!” Bilbo shouted through the door. “And what about very old friends?” Gandalf asked. The circular door opened to Bilbo, who looked… still rather young. 

“My dear, Gandalf, Ver!” He shouted and hugged Gandalf, then me. “It is good to see you. One-hundred and eleven years old, who would believe it,” Gandalf said. “You haven’t aged a day,” I commented and he nodded with a smile. 

Gandalf laughed it off as we stood and Bilbo ran in and opened the door wider. “Come in!” He shouted. Gandalf walked in first, then I went after him. The room wasn’t as tidy as it was the last time I was here, not that I’m judging. 

“Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger?” Bilbo offered as he took Gandalf’s hat and walking stick. “I’ve got a few bottles in the Old Winyard left. Twelve ninety-six. Very good year. Almost as old as I am,” he chuckled as he put the two items down across the hall and ran down another. 

“It was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh?” he suggested. “Just tea, thank you,” I called back. Gandalf backed into the light fixture above and he stopped it from swinging and I pulled his arm just before he ran into the dooray. “Thank you,” he chuckled. “Anytime,” 

We looked around the study. Maps were strung across the desk, various books and knick knacks all over the floor, and pictures of his mother and father above the hearth. 

“He’s changed,” I whispered as Bilbo went on about the contents of his pantry. “That he has,” Gandalf agreed as he looked at a framed map of Erebor. He handed me the map as he walked into the other room and I stared down at it. 

“I could make you some eggs if you’d like,” Bilbo offered and looked around, holding a plate of cheese. “Just tea, thank you,” Gandalf said from behind him as I sat the map down. “Oh, right,” Bilbo chuckled. 

“Bilbo Baggins!” A woman pounded on the door and Bilbo pushed himself against the curved doorway. “I’m not at home!” he whisper-shouted. I knelt down and peaked out the window. 

“It’s the Sackville-Bagginses. They’re after the house. They’ve never forgiven me for living this long,” Bilbo whispered. I stood up and walked over to the door and opened to see a young Hobbit woman with her hands on her hips. “And-and you are?!” she demanded, but was too intimidated to sound even a bit scary enough. 

“Bilbo isn’t in right now,” I said shortly. “Then if I could leave a message-” I shut the door and ducked through the doorways, walking into the kitchen. 

“That should get her off your back,” I huffed and sat down. “You’d be surprised,” He huffed and I chuckled.

“I want to see mountains again. Mountains!” he announced. “And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book. Oh, tea,” he jumped. “So you mean to go through with your plan?” Gandalf asked. “Yes, yes. It’s all in hand. All the arrangements are made,” Bilbo said dismissively as he poured the tea. 

“Frodo suspects something,” Gandalf said, looking at the Hobbit. “Of course he does. He’s a Baggins, not some blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle,” Bilbo responded. “You will tell him, won’t you?” I asked. 

“Yes, yes,” He huffed. “He’s very fond of you,” Gandalf said. “I know,” Bilbo sighed. “He’d probably come with me if I asked him. In his heart, Frodo’s still in love with the Shire. The woods, the fields, little rivers,” he went on. 

“I am old, Gandalf. I know I don’t look it, but I’m beginning to feel it in my heart,” He said as he fiddled with something in his pocket and sat down. “I feel thin. Sort of stretched, like butter scraped across too much bread,” He said. 

“I need a holiday, a very long holiday. And I don’t expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to,”