prologue...

"Well, this is a nice change of scenery."

"James, we're in a prison cell."

"Neither of us has left the kingdom in years. I'd say this is a success."

Venus brings her boney hands up to her face to rub her tired eyes. It's only been ten minutes and she was already going insane. She looks around the prison cell for what feels like the thousandth time. Monotone and hysteria-inducing gray walls, floors, and furniture surround her. She sits on a bed that is hung from the ceiling with rusted iron chains and covered with the thinnest piece of linen she has ever seen, topped with a just-as-thin pillow covered with questionable stains in a variety of questionable colors. She turns to her right, where her friend- No. Her companion- No. Her acquaintance- Not even that.

James is perched on the ledge of the barred window, looking out, presumably plotting their escape. His long black hair shines in the cloudy, white light that illuminates the room. He, too, rubs his eyes and sighs.

"Venus," he turns to her, dull gray eyes looking straight into her own, "How the hell did this happen?"

"Don't look at me," she raises both her hands in defense. "I liked the guy. This is on you."

"Well, it's not like we actually did anything."

"We killed his daughter."

"Oh," he turns back to look out the window. "Right."