chapter 29

H A N D P R I N T

Ignoring Antonio's question, I turn to face Fernandina

"If you so much as touch a single strand of hair on Katie's head again, so help me God, I'll beat you until not even your own mother will recognize you," I threaten and her bottom lip quivers.

She's not actually thinking about-

And cue the tears.

A stream of tears run down her face as she sobs.

What the fuck is she doing?

She grabs Katie's arm, pulling her towards Antonio and they stop at his side.

"Antonio she's crazy," Fernandina says frantically. "I came in for some water and saw her hitting Katie," she says and I cross my arms over my chest.

She's not seriously spinning this on me, is she?

"I, of course had to step in and help poor Katie, I mean at this age she's practically helpless and this girl took advantage of that."

I ignore her little lies as I approach Antonio.

"You might not have respect for yourself or me but as long as I'm here you will respect Katie. She's old enough to be your mother and you let her get disrespected like this- are you kidding?" I scoff in disbelief.

He looks down at Katie who lowers her head.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Antonio, I told miss Nirah not to do anything to miss Fernandina," she apologizes.

"Katie, I was standing up for you so don't apologize to him," I shake my head.

"Standing up to who? The woman in tears?" he asks me and I smile.

"You're even more pathetic than I thought," I shake my head in disbelief.

I grab Katie's bruised arm and wrist, showing it to him.

"That's what the 'woman in tears' did," I say and he looks down at her arm and wrist. "And this," I say pointing to the handprint on Katie's cheek.

"No, I didn't- it wasn't me," she shakes her head. "It was her. You heard her threaten me, she's fucking psycho."

"Nirah wouldn't-"

"Oh, but she did!" she interrupts him.

"You hurt Katie?" he asks with so much confusion and I can't help but laugh.

"You really think I'd hurt her?" I ask and he looks at me warily. "I didn't," I assure him and he seems torn. "You're not seriously doubting me right now, are you?" I ask in shock and he looks over at Fernandina who starts crying some more and sniffing.

I look over at Katie and her head hangs low.

"Well fuck you for thinking I'd ever fucking hurt Katie," I say taking Katies hand. I shake my head at him before we head up to my room.