chapter 1.

2016

Alice

You can make your own choices now. I think of Natasha's words as I make my way back to my new home. I open the door with a sigh when I see the poorly decorated apartment, I moved in a week ago and I don't exactly know how to decorate yet. I was stuck in the red room for twenty-one years, I pretty much don't know anything else. But Natasha is right, I can make my own choices now, I am no longer Dreykov's personal murdering Barbie doll.

I toss my backpack on the floor and pull out my laptop, so I can start shopping for home decor, Yelena has been a huge help lately, she's made sure all the widows have a home, and a friend to call if they need one.

I'm sure Natasha would do the same thing, but I know she's got some avenger stuff going on, she still checks in with me when she can though. Suddenly I hear my phone buzzing. Incoming call: Yelena 🤪🐥🍝 I smile at her caller ID and answer the phone with a smirk. "Hey, Yelena."

"Alice." Her thick accent makes me smile again, I miss her. "How are you?" I open my mouth about to answer but then she stops me. "Honest answer only, or I swear I will come to your apartment and steal all your macaroni." A laugh escapes my lips. "Just come and eat some with me." I hear her smile through the phone. "I would love that, but you still haven't answered my question." I sigh, knowing I can't lie to her. "It's hard adjusting to normal life..I just feel like Dreykov is going to send me on a another mission, and make me do things I don't want to do.." I trail off, not wanting to think about it anymore.

"I feel the same way, but we're free now, I promise, and life's just began." I smile. "Your right, I'm not sure I can get much accomplished though if I stare at these blank walls all day." I look around at my bland apartment. "Luckily I'm a fashion expert, I'll be there tomorrow to help you decorate, but I want macaroni. So make sure you have some." She requests. "Of course. Thank you Yelena." I can't express to her how much she means to me. She's a true friend. "It's no problem, just make sure you have the macaroni."

I playful roll my eyes. "Fine, I'll buy the little shapes, just for you." She laughs. "See you tomorrow." I hang up the phone and grab my bag, I decide it's probably best to get Yelena's Mac n cheese now, as well as something for my dinner.

I start walking down the streets of Delacroix, Louisiana, it's a small and cozy town; just what I was looking for, it makes me feel safe. "Aah." I hear someone gasp, and I feel my chest collide with another person. I look up and see a black man, probably in his early thirties standing in front of me. He looks familiar but I can't quite put my finger on where I recognize him from. "I'm so sorry, ma'am, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." I give him a small smile, "it's okay. I wasn't either." He lets out a small chuckle. "Well enjoy the rest of your day, the weather is usually not this nice around this time of year" I smile, and he gives me a small nod before walking away, just after he's out of my sight, I remember where I know him from.

That's Sam Wilson aka the Falcon I think to myself, Dreykov always said the avengers were the enemy, but I know now that's not true. They are the heros. Sam seemed very kind, and I'm sure he's a brave fighter along with the rest of them.

~

I put the Mac n cheese in my pantry, and pull out a chicken breast and pasta to make for dinner, I start the water, and grab a pan to start preparing the meat. After I finish cooking, I grab my bowl of food and laptop and open safari; seeing Sam today made me curious about him and the other avengers. Of course, I knew some of the basics about them from the Red Room, and Yelena filled me on some more details as well, but I am still very curious about each of them.

I scroll through pictures, videos, and articles explaining how the avengers have impacted our world, I smile when I see Natasha, it's nice to know at least one of Dreykov's widows was fighting against him all these years.

I decide to research all of the avengers, my curiosity now sparked, after about an hour,  I finally reach the last one. Steve Rogers also known as Captain America, I scroll through his article until I get to a paragraph that explains something that happened in 2014 in Washington, D.C. Hydra I sigh when I see the name, Dreykov mentioned them a few times during our training, and I know they played a part in the formula Dreykov used to brainwash us.

I continue scrolling through Steve's page until I see a link to another article James "Bucky" Buchanan Barnes formally known as the Winter Soldier, his page catches my attention, a brainwashed assassin-just like me. I could have sworn Dreykov mentioned him once, but many believed he was just a myth. I read through his page, explaining him being shipped off to war during the 1940s, his presumed death from a moving freight car, his time with Hydra, his role in the battle against Thanos, and the government not pressuring charges for his 'crimes'.

I stare at my laptop in shock, maybe there is hope out there, maybe there are more people out there that would understand me. Bucky Barnes, I have to meet you.

Author's note
Let me know what y'all think so far, I'm very excited for Bucky to eventually meet Alice ;)
Also let me know your favorite thing about Bucky? <3

Thank you again for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter!
Liv xx