• Chapter 3

GRIM REAPERS
third person

——— • Joker took the pleasure of giving the new recruits a tour around the camp. He showed them the tents, from the newer members' tents to the main troupe's tents. Also giving them a warning to try not to come close to Snake's tent as he lets his friends slither around.

"Private tents?", Ciel asked.

"Well, if you climb up the ranks then you'll get one of these. Scarlet! Would you like to get one of these? I'll prepare one for you~", Joker suggested with a smile.

The girl shook her head, "No need, I'll stay in the tents where new members sleep in, it'll be fair that way," she insisted.

Joker appreciates her kind gesture. He then points his baton at Ciel's face, "That reminds me. What happened to your right eye, Smile?", He asks curiously.

Evangeline also glances curiously, though she knows she shouldn't pry, Joker just opened a door to arouse her curiosity.

Ciel acts warry, "This? I was in an accident."

"I see," Joker then cups the boy's face with his prosthetic, "That must be hard on such a small boy."

Ciel awkwardly said, "Yes..."

"Well, everyone 'ere has their own sob stories. Let's all be friends." He encourages. "Okay?", Another awkward answer from Ciel.

"Did most of the members join the circus during your travels like us?", Sebastian asked as they continue to walk around the camp.

Joker hums in thought, "Most of them. But the main cast all comes from the same town. We're all childhood friends.", He answered.

Evangeline smiles, "Childhood friends, how lovely...". "Yes!"

They passed by one of the main cast, Jumbo. He was playing a song on a Harmonica, it was a familiar sound to both Ciel and Eve.

"Over the hills and far away~", Evangeline sang in a low volume, she used to play this on the piano when she was younger, the kids in the orphanage loved her arrangement.

"Tom...Tom The Piper's Son...Mother Goose?", Ciel muttered. Joker seemed pleased when he heard the two kids, "Oh! You two know a lot of trivia~!"

"It isn't a very well-known song."

Ciels immediately comes up an excuse, "No...My master liked that song. How about you, Eva— er— Scarlet?", He acted naturally.

The girl hums, "I liked the original song, but I mostly play it like a lullaby on the piano," she answered.

Sebastian then changes the subject, "It is surprising to hear that the main cast were all childhood friends," he said. Joker's mind thankfully followed.

"Really? Oh but...Snake is not. His neck charming is the tops. When we were looking for a snake charmer, you got fast formation into the main cast." He explained.

Joker then proceeds to explain how ranking in the circus can affect you daily opportunities. Like how the higher you are, the higher privileges you get.

"So everyone works hard in here!" They enter a tent where a lot of circus members are practicing. Some were juggling, balancing on giant balls, trapeze, and a lot more.

Joker apparently got stolen from the new members when Beast asked for his assistance.

Ciel took this opportunity to pour out a bit of his curiosity, "Scarlet, if it's not rude to ask, why did you join the circus?", he asked.