9. The Millenium Celebration (Part I)

The 4391 human teenagers bid farewell to the Wayfarer. After their savior rose to the sky, they said, "Let us start rebuilding." So they began this good work.

First, the people erected a monument to commemorate this moment. Next, they settled in the surrounding region and labored under the sun. In time, the teenagers reached adulthood, and their village grew into a city. The residents named it Sana'a, like the ancient Arabic city from pre-extinction history.

The humans continued to sprawl along the mountains and plains, under the clouds and fragrant breezes. By adopting sustainable energy, they minimized their emissions and prevented the mistakes of previous generations. Economic growth was rapid; agriculture and heavy industries thrived at little cost to Mother Nature. Lands were carefully developed to coexist with their environments.

Sovereign states rose after one another. They came together and looked to Sana'a for leadership. The elders from Sana'a promoted goodwill and cooperative spirits. They pledged peace and prosperity to all corners of the global community.

The signing of the Grand Constitution gave birth to the New Earth Federation. Legislative power was vested in the Parliament, consisting of the Bundestag Lower House and the Bundesrat Upper House. The Bundestag was elected through direct elections using the proportional representation system. The Bundesrat, on the other hand, was appointed by the sovereign state governments. Above the lawmakers, the Chancellor exercised executive power through his cabinet ministers.

Human dignity, separation of powers, federal structure, and rule of law; those principles were guaranteed by the constitution. Well-informed citizens voted and expected good governance from their public officials.

The Federation focused on infrastructure development. Highways became extensive, forming a network that linked cities and even smaller towns. Intercontinental trains broke speed barriers on magnetic levitation rails. Airports and container ports flourished, and the sea and the sky bustled with traffic.

The invention of the Zhao-Mangelsdorf fusion drive propelled mankind to further heights. Armed with such technological innovation, the bold and the brave ventured into outer space. Colonies popped up on Mars, Venus, Europa, Titan, and Ceres. They traded raw materials with Earth and formed a vast economic circle.

Thus, the Space-faring Age was born. The humans became so confident in their progress that they felt no dreams were beyond their reach. A few wise minds, however, urged humbleness. We were indebted to our savior; without its act of kindness, we would not be here.

The history of the Federation was not without its downs. 862 years after the resurrection, Earth's population reached a limit. Food became scarce. Farmlands were stretched. Inflation ensued and ordinary families struggled.

People borrowed. They took on credit to keep their grocery bags filled. When the global economy suffered a downturn, debts defaulted. Families were ruined. Riots broke out in cities large and small. A chasm had gaped between the rich and the poor.

The Parliament convened and appointed a new Chancellor. Vested with emergency powers, Mitasha Boutros-Ghali halted the global banking system and introduced martial law. He traveled tirelessly around the world to meet with governors and bankers. To restore solidarity, he asked that debts be forgiven and interests canceled. "We must do right. It is for our savior, our Most Beloved One."