Chapter 1 | Starting With Kei

Chapter 1 |  Starting With Kei

Thin, delicate hands shuffled through stacks upon stacks of papers. Numerous scrolls scattered around the wooden table, the people present leaving them opened yet undisturbed.

"How does this keep happening during my visits, Hiruzen-dono?" A feminine voice asked, the statement was laced with obvious amusement and exasperation. "Last year, it was the Hyuuga Heiress's kidnapping incident. This year, the segregation of the Uchiha Clan that most likely could lead to a plausible coup. What's next, a rot infestation?"

Had the ANBU guards not been dismissed before their meeting, perhaps she'd have been surrounded by them for her sheer audacity. But then again, it was due to her standing that she's able to ask for an audience with the Hokage, so they wouldn't even be able to touch her — much less threaten — just from her rank.

"I would also like to know the answer to that, Kazuki-dono." Sarutobi Hiruzen sighed into his hands, slumping further in his seat, "Perhaps I've grown too lax with age."

Though even if it wasn't for her rank, then from the amount of respect the man have for this person to address her in such a way would still ward off any stray shadow from defending their leader in some misguided loyalty.

"You're lucky that I caught onto this before the elders did, Hiruzen-dono. Who knows what kind of savage solution those senile old fools would carry out."

Hiruzen winced but didn't deny her words. Instead, he focused onto her implications, "So you have an idea?"

Rekka Kazuki shrugged lightly, "It is quite simple really."

Hiruzen regarded the twelve-year-old silently from across the table, waiting for her to elaborate.

Once, years ago, when he was still arrogant, naive and full of ideals, he probably would've scoffed and immediately shut down any suggestions that came from a child. But he's not been that man for a long time. He now knows that children can be as insightful as any experienced adults are.

Years of living and experience taught him a very valuable lesson, which is: There is always someone younger and better.

When she merely gave him an innocent look, he raised an eyebrow in amusement. "And what is it that you'd like in return for your help, Kazuki-dono?" He finally asked.

"My, such generosity, Hokage-sama." Kazuki said cheekily.

Hiruzen had to consciously stop himself from rolling his eyes.

"The favour can wait. Perhaps... in three years?" Kazuki tilted her head as she thought to herself for a few moments. She then held up a finger for each year, "Yeah, three years and I'll come back to cash in my favour."

Hiruzen sent a searching look at the girl, "Does the Fire Daimyo approves of this?" He asked suddenly, "If I'm not mistaken, he was quite adamant in his request of staying out of ninja politics."

"Otou-sama?" Kazuki said wryly, "Well... He didn't say anything about me getting involved with the Hidden Village, now did he? And it's not like he's paid me any attention when he's been busy fussing over aniue." She grinned sharply, "But no need to stress. Even if he did catch news about this, I'll deal with it myself."

She then took out a blank scroll and positioned a quill on top of it. It moved gracefully, leaving technical yet elegant strokes that could only be achieved from years of practice.

"But before then, let's deal with the Uchihas."

It was both magnifying and humbling to watch as a girl about six times his junior manipulate the masses — his masses — into welcoming back the clan they've scorned for over half a decade in just a couple of years.