Chapter 2 (part 3)

Though it's a little late, I should take some time to explain the existence of those known as 'Ability Users'.

In this world, there are few humans with special abilities. With each special ability, depending on how dangerous it is, they can cause harm to society. The Special Abilities Department, which is a secret department of the government, continue their monitoring activities over ability users. Crimes committed by special ability users are unending. Organized crime involving ability users has become a headache for the Special Abilities Department.

Although, of course not all ability users are bad.

If you are given permission by the Special Abilities Department, then you are allowed to use them legally. I've heard rumors, but apparently a small but elite exceptionally talented detective agency exists, taking on active cases.

Their location definitely has to be Yokohama.

Extremely dangerous ability users managed and supervised by the Special Abilities Division must be killed in some cases. Ranking at the top of the list is our "Homicide Detective", Ayatsuji-sensei.

"An ability that cases an accidental death to the other party".

Ignoring all cause and effect, the ability 100% ensures death to the other party. This is an example of a powerful and dangerous special ability. Blowing up the other party, cutting them into pieces, crushing them. Those supernatural abilities are naturally dangerous, thus vigilance is a necessity.

But having a powerful and strong ability does not make you an "Extremely Dangerous Ability User".

Sensei's ability ignores and distorts all physical barriers, giving an 'accidental death' to the target. Even if you were on the other side of the world or the strongest ability user, it's irrelevant. It sounds more like a 'curse', doesn't it?

Choking, ceberal infarction, death by falling.

Suicide, disease, and heart attacks.

The cause of death itself cannot be predicted. It also cannot be prevented or canceled out.

For the ability, there is only one condition for the target: they must be a criminal. Perhaps one might refer to it as a very fitting detective ability. A detective derives the truth, resolves incidents. They point and denounce the criminal. Unless it is under this process, the special ability will not activate and no death will happen.

That's why the plan called 'Exterminate Extremely Dangerous Ability User, Ayatsuji Yukito' that is submitted from time to time to the higher ups continues to be rejected.

But when there are no defensive measures against a 100% assured death ability, this is a special exception for the Special Abilities Division and their Special Abilities user list. In accordance with Ayatsuji-sensei's attitude, it's crucial to have him under control, so having self-confidence is not enough.

That's why the 'Exterminate Extremely Dangerous Ability User, Ayatsuji Yukito' plan still continues to be submitted two or three times a week.

If sensei was a bit more docile and understanding, the atmosphere would be more comforting, but...

"What, Tsujimura-kun? Are you in the mood to be a maid, after all? If so, you should change your clothes. Your outfit is over there."

"You're wrong!"

In any case, he has this kind of personality. I can't read what he's truly feeling.

Rather, why a maid dress anyway? He bought one?

"Then why are you looking at me. I know it's your mission to monitor me, but if I need to be stared down 24 hours a day, it'd definitely work better to install surveillance cameras. They don't need a salary, unlike you, and there wouldn't be any useless talking."

"I know. But surveillance cameras, unlike me, can't badger you saying "please finish the morning report"."

"That's your 'something extra'."

"Please be quiet and finish your report."

"My, my."

Ayatsuji-sensei turned to his desk then, beginning to write on his papers.

A report summarizing the case. Circumstances of the case, discovered evidence, how to confirm the evidence and identify the culprit. Because the trigger mechanism for sensei's ability is so limited, even trivial information is indispensable for the Secret Abilities Division. That's why giving in a detective's report later is important.

Of course, it's my job to submit a practical copy of it. The negotiations of the parties after the incident, the behind-the-scenes work of the commanding troops and police department, and recovering the non-disclosure agreements of the parties concerned. Just as sensei said, my job is not only surveillance monitoring. Supervising business, driving and escorting sensei when he goes out, and even serving as a mock assistant so detective work may get by without incident.

Since there's no one else left to do it, it's up to me.

This being the case, taking a seat in a wicker chair with Ayatsuji-sensei within sight, I open up my personal laptop computer to input the data.

Paperwork, monitoring, escorting sensei – all of these things are capable of being done perfectly by a first-rate agent. I'm sure that movie heroine would say so.

By the way, there was a plan to install surveillance camera's throughout the building, just as Ayatsuji-sensei said. Such a thing exists. But since sensei can thoroughly see through things, he'd surely find a blindspot and disobey, thus the plan became obsolete. That's the feeling I get.

The tortoiseshell cat walked past my leg, rubbing its head against my ankle a few times.

"Finished." Sensei stood up his fountain pen and passed over a bundle of papers.

"Finished?" I said. "Already? Did you write neatly without forgetting anything?"

"To make sure I'm not forgetting anything would be your job."

I accepted the report. I flipped through the pages one by one to verify the contents. My finger stopped on a certain page.

"Please wait." I said. "This last passage... What is this?" This sentence was ominous. Before I knew it, it felt as if I had needles in my mouth.

"Just as I wrote. What is it? Being able to read is your best strong point, Agent Tsujimura."

"I'll beat you. ... That aside, this sentence,"

I pointed to a line on the report.

I wouldn't get caught, that guy told me so!

"These are... The words of the culprit?"