What are friends for?

I slowly opened my eyes to the familiar sight of my cell, once again. I was partly relieved but also disappointed. I wished that everything had just ended then and there, I would no longer have been a nuisance to S.H.I.E.L.D and I could no longer have harmed anyone.

"Jade?" My thoughts came to an abrupt halt when I noticed that Steve was now by my side.
"I'm so sorry Steve" I said, trying not to burst into tears as memories of what had happened came back to me with a flash. "I'm so sorry!". He stretched out his arms and held me in a friendly embrace.

"Shh it's alright", he said reassuringly, we stayed like that for a few seconds as we just rocked slightly in one another arms.
"None of that should ever of happened Jade, I'm sorry. I said I was going to protect you!" He said, I could tell that he felt guilty.
"No Steve, you did!" I looked to him. "It was you wasn't it" I said referring to the last minute rescue. He nodded slowly in response.

"See you can't say you didn't try" I joked, trying to lighten up the situation. His face which had a moment ago been one of sorrow and guilt lit up at my comment. He smiled and almost blushed!

...........

Its been a few days since the accident and everyone has been super nice to me ever since. Bruce also visited me in my cell after Steve left. I apologised for almost choking him and we seem to be on equal terms! He pointed out that he'd actually been a few seconds away from hulking out so I wouldn't have harmed him anyway. He was kind enough to bring me some books to read as well as some posters for me to decorate my gloomy cell with. I was very thankful and he smiled saying it was the least he could do.

I've had many talks with S.H.I.E.L.D personnel about the connection between the nightmares and "her". There have been more experiments conducted on her under the close supervision of Bruce and I've been making good progress on trying to control her better. We're now trying to find answers for as to why she exists in the first place and how she knows so much about the S.H.I.L.D base.

Things seem to be going very well considering that I still can't go home. But of course like any story I know deep down that everything is far too good to last for much longer.