эпилог.

эпилог. (epilog) — epilogue.

the end of the events of "the falcon and the winter soldier

the end of the events of "the falcon and the winter soldier." june 18, 2024.

"Sam!" Mace shouted, sitting next to Bucky. "Where's my burger?"

Sam Wilson rolled his eyes at the girl. He'd only met her a month and a half ago, when he started talking to Bucky again, but he thought they'd become good friends in that time. Even with everything going on. He knew who she was— Bucky had told him when they'd first met at the air base— and to be honest, he had pictured her to be much more dark and brooding. You know, more like Bucky. But Mace was outgoing, sarcastic, talkative, even. And yet he could still see how she and Buck were a perfect match.

"It's coming," he told her with a smile, flipping the meat onto the bun.

"It's taking a while," she commented, taking another sip of her soda.

Sam rolled his eyes playfully once again.

Mace leaned onto Bucky's shoulder and smiled at the sky. The sun was about to set, and it was lit a brilliant yellow.

Mace loved this place. She loved being surrounded by all these people. By this real family. That accepted her as family, too. She loved the lake, the way the water twinkled with the glint from the sun, and the way the waves splashed against the dock. She loved the way everyone knew everything about the other person, and didn't think of them any different.

"Come on, Captain America, you can defeat a bunch of Flag Smashers, but you can't bring me a burger?"

Sam walked over with a paper plate, smiling at her. Bucky laughed at her previous statement and placed his hand onto her knee.

Sam handed the plated food over to Mace, who took a bite. "Control your girlfriend," he told Bucky.

"Oh, mhm," he said, taking a sip of his beer.

"She's not funny," said Sam.

"Of course not," said Bucky, the smile still lingering on his face. Sam rolled his eyes sarcastically and walked away.

A family.  One big family.  And you could be sarcastic with them, and they got it.  You could be serious.  They'd listen.  Mace had started talking to Sam's sister, Sarah, as well.  She enjoyed playing children's games with Sam's nephews.  They would pretend to punch her and she'd fall back, "defeated."  And Sam was comforting.   He was a former counsel for veterans with trauma— and he did that job well.  He made good inspirational speeches, she'd give him that.

There was, though, one thing she hadn't shared with a single soul on these docks.  Not even Bucky.

She'd only found out about this two days ago— and wanted to keep it a secret.  Sure, her past was behind her.  But the present?  Now the present was much scarier than her past.