Opening Night

Song - Freakshow by Skillet

    Chatter from the audience filled the darkened tent, slowly dying down as the spotlight came on.  Shining on the ring leader, she held her microphone up to speak.  "Welcome, one and all," she began.  "We have gathered from all over the country to perform for you tonight, Cirque de la Cocinelle!"  Applause erupted from the crowd, excitement building as the ring leader hyped them up.  "You've come to see those beyond the title of human.  From stunts and performances, to complete oddities.  Famously, we have a very special character of nature, never before seen in any other circus."

    The lion tamer readied himself from backstage - she was leading into his entrance.  He gently stroked his pet's mane, listening to the ring mistress's speech.  The crowd began to scream as they anticipated his appearance.  She's done it a thousand times before, but each recital always stirred his heart like it was the first.

    "Let's start the show!" the ring leader called out.  "Esteemed guests," she turned, motioning to the stage entrance.  "Give it up for lion tamer, Adrien Agreste and his black lion, Plagg!"

    Stepping out to the stage, Plagg followed behind him.  The crowd lost it as Adrien led the creature into the spotlight.  The ring leader continuing her narration:

    "A rare melanistic lion," she described.  "Found abandoned as a cub and raised for this specific performance!"

    Adrien's mind drowned out all outside noise as he focused on Plagg.  The lion's amber eyes centered on him, waiting for his command.  They had been doing this long enough, they had their own language.  A smile from the lion tamer, and Plagg stepped forward.  Adrien held his hand out, guiding Plagg to the course.  They both picked up speed as they sprinted to the first obstacle.

    Adrien's arm quickly shot up into the air, Plagg jumping through the first hoop on that command.  The audience cheered as Adrien tossed the lion a chunk of meat from the bag strapped to his side.  One treat for each trick, that's their deal.  Plagg ran through the rest of the course, Adrien running along his side.  The crowd shouted and cheered for the duo up until they left the stage.

    The ring leader smirked as she watched them leave.  What a way to start the show.

***

    "We had a great performance tonight, everyone!" Marinette announced.  "Fantastic first impression on this town.  But remember, we have to keep that energy up until we leave."  She looked around to see no one was listening - save for Adrien, maybe.  Everyone was talking amongst themselves, some passing around town maps.

    "Hey!" the manager shouted, grabbing their attention.  "She's talking to you!"

    "I've got this, Chloé," Marinette motioned her hand in front of her.  "We did well tonight, you guys!  But let's not get lazy, okay?"  The group responded back monotonously before going right back to their conversations.  Marinette rolled her eyes, stepping up to a group of crewmates.  "What are you guys looking at?"

    "We're checking out what's around town," the fire-breather opened the map wider for her to see.  "There's a bunch of cool stuff in this place, and now that everyone knows we're here, we can go check it all out."

    "Don't forget, Nathaniel," Marinette started.  "If anyone goes out, you have to take either Ivan or Kim with you for protection.  We don't know how temperamental these townsfolk are."

    "Yeah, we all know," he sighed.  "We just wanted to plan things for the weekend."

    "There's a butcher in this town!" Adrien blurted suddenly, pointing to the location on the map.  "I have to go tonight!"

    "What do you need to go to a butcher for?" Nathaniel asked.

    "Plagg!" he said as though it were obvious.  "I need to get him some fresh meat, maybe I can even get a few bones for a treat."

    "I doubt they'll be open this late, Adrien," Marinette said.  "You'll have to go in the morning."

    "Aw," Adrien groaned.  "What time do they open?"

    On the other side of the room, the strongman looked over his own map with the stunt woman and sage by his side.  "I'm not seeing anything all that cool," he yawned.

    "Kim, you never think anything is cool," the stunt woman sneered.  "Max and I can probably find something to keep you busy while we're here."

    "Actually Alix, I'm not seeing much, either," the sage rubbed the back of his neck.  "I mean, I'll definitely spend most of the weekend at their library.  But I don't see anything you two would like."

    Alix turned on her heel to face Max.  "You mean you're ditching me with him for the entire time we're in this town?"

    "Whatever," Kim sighed.  "The next town will be better - I've heard there's a beach there!"

    Alix slouched.  "But we just got here!"

    The crew chattered over what they might see, the things they would do, and the fun they would - or wouldn't - have.  Slowly, they dispersed back to their trailers to rest or practice their routines.  "Everything okay?" Adrien asked.  He and Marinette were the last to leave.

    "Yeah," Marinette mumbled as she looked over her clipboard.  "I think I'm gonna schedule a meeting after tomorrow night's performance.  Chloé gave me a ton of notes, and I've had a few requests from the crew members, too."

    Adrien shook his head.  "I don't know how you do it, Marinette," he chuckled.  I'd go crazy trying to keep this bunch organized."

    Marinette laughed with him.  "Yeah," she sighed.  "Maybe I can worry about it tomorrow.  Have you eaten, yet?  Alya, Nino, and I were gonna go out to get dinner."

    "I'd love to come with!"

    Marinette smiled.  "Awesome!"

[Sorry this was a short chapter, I jumped around a lot on this story, so I'm trying to fill in the story between what I've already written.  Next one will be longer and better.]