Pain

After leaving Aubrey at the park and returning Basil to Polly’s care, the group had returned to Sunny and Mari’s house to rest for the evening. This time, however, Kel’s older brother and Mari’s boyfriend, Hero followed along with them.

“Wow, it’s been so long since I’ve last been here. It feels so empty with all of the furniture missing,” Hero traversed the hollow living room. “I remember there being a big couch here, where we’d all sit and watch cartoons over the weekends.” After taking a deep sigh, the man turned to face the masked girl before them. “Anyways, you said you’d explain everything after we got Basil home. Kel called you Mari, but...” He fell silent. Even in the darkness of the room, Mari could tell that he looked miserable. That he still couldn’t move on. Four long years and Hero still couldn’t let her go. She couldn’t tell if she felt flattered at the thought or guilty that she left him like this. It was time she fixed that.

While removing her mask, Mari illuminated the room as a bright light shone from her hand revealing her kind smile. She watched as the man’s dark eyes lit up at the sight of her.  “Hey there handsome… or do you prefer, what’s cooking good-” Mari was quickly interrupted as she felt a pair of arms suddenly surround her.

“It’s you right? Is it really you, Mari? Not another illusion?” The girl felt her shoulder becoming damp as tears ran down the Hero’s face. With him being this close, she could feel his rushing heartbeat and his nervous breathing. Hugging him in return, Mari began to comfort the man.

“It’s me, Hero. I missed you too, but I’m back now.”

“Mari, I was so scared when we lost you! But… But how are you back? Is this some kind of dream? Please, tell me you’re real!”

“Let me explain, but first could you let go? This is starting to get a little embarrassing...”

A loud yawn could be heard from Kel. “Yeah… anyways... It's getting kind of late so Sunny and I are gonna sleep upstairs. Don’t worry bro, I’ll make a nice big bed fort for ya!”

“Haha, thanks Kel,” replied Hero, embarrassed that he still enjoyed something so childish while in front of Mari.

“No problem! Just behave yourselves, you crazy kids!” Once Kel and Sunny exited the room, the two continued their conversation.

“How is he so calm about this? Well, I always admired that about Kel. Even after you died he was able to stay strong. If he didn't, who knows what could’ve… Never mind about that, Mari how are you back? When did you get here? Have you been eating well? You’re not like a ghost or a zombie are you?”

“Haha, you brothers sure are alike. Kel had a bunch of questions too. Here take a seat, this is going to be very confusing.” Mari waved her arm in his direction, while a couch materialized behind the man.

“What in the- How did you just-” Hero became frantic at the sight of the sudden couch.

“Calm down, it’s not made of spiders in it or anything. I just pulled it out of my inventory.”