Ch. 1:ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss

Your instincts screamed at you to rise up, scrabble up onto your hands and knees and onto your feet, to run, to hide, to flee. But fear choked you, held you in a vise grip so tight you could only shake in protest. All you could do was swallow and breathe, so you inhaled. Exhaled. And opened your eyes to the blackness once more.

"So you are conscious," a voice drawled, the lilting tone reminiscent of a grin, a self-satisfied smirk. "And here I thought you were going to play dead for another five minutes or so." The words trailed off, echoing around whatever room you were in, reverberating deep in your chest. A slight, breathy chuckle split the silence. "Good. Then let's begin."

Momentarily, you forgot how to breathe, how to think, how to function. There was a sinister undertone to those words spoken into the darkness; so much so that you froze, a rabbit in the eyes of a wolf. 

Your eyes strained wide in the pitch black, searching and seeking any pinprick of light, any clue of your whereabouts. Just as you thought you were able to make out the vaguest silhouette of a figure, a hand clapped over your eyes from behind, making you jump and yelp in absolute terror.

You panted in fright as the hand tightened around your face, gently tilting your head back until you were looking straight up. Your entire body shook with uncertainty, with confusion and fear. "W-Who are you?" You asked the shadows.

A pause. Then a soft, slow laugh rang out in the graveyard silence.

"Me? Why, I am your salvation, or your ruin. Either way, you can't escape it. And best of all? You get to choose, my dear."