𝟎𝟖 tell me, is it worth it?

━━━━━━ ⊹⊱ ⊰⊹ ━━━━━━

𝐼𝑆 𝐼𝑇 𝑊𝑂𝑅𝑇𝐻 𝐼𝑇?
𝐼𝑆 𝐼𝑇 𝑊𝑂𝑅𝑇𝐻 𝐼𝑇?
𝑻𝑬𝑳𝑳 𝑴𝑬, 𝑰𝑺 𝑰𝑻
𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑻𝑯 𝑰𝑻?

━━━━━━ ⊹⊱ ⊰⊹ ━━━━━━

⠀⠀

THEO SHARPE'S FIRST ever encounter with the Dowager Viscountess —or more importantly, his mother-in-law— was beyond nerve-wracking. He's never dreaded the audience of a single person despite all the times he had stood in front of a crowd proclaiming radical thoughts that polite society would find concerning.

For god's sake, he's never been that distraught even when he faced the head of the Bridgerton family, the Viscount himself.

But here he was, fed to the lion's den (much to Eloise's protests) because her rambunctious siblings had taken her hostage and left him completely deserted to fend for himself.

Despite having only met the Bridgertons a handful of times, something about the mischievous glint in their eyes (an uncanny resemblance to his wife's), tells him that this had been a scheme set in stone beforehand.

            Footman John, the only familiar face, had assured him not to fret but that had only taken a moment because the next thing he knew, the man had already announced his arrival.

"Lady Bridgerton," the footman declared. "Mr. Sharpe had arrived."

"Oh, splendid," the older woman beams. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Sharpe."

He curtsies, "Likewise, Lady Bridgerton."

"Please, you must call me Violet now. After all, you are my daughter's husband," she chuckles, but after a beat, she adds, "It is a shame that we were not acquainted a little sooner."

Theo winces at the implications of her words, "My apologies—"

"Do not fret, my dear. It was not my intention to guilt you..." Violet Bridgerton ever so warm-hearted motions for him to sit beside her on the drawing room's couch, "You see, my Eloise had always been a tad too rebellious. I am at fault for not seeing beyond that, for failing to understand what goes on in her mind."

Despite her words, Theo Sharpe couldn't help the twinge of guilt that still lingered in his chest. Something about the woman in front of him reminded him of his mother despite the way their personalities greatly contrasted. He knew it would be warranted for a mother —Eloise's in particular— to look at him disapprovingly for having lost a daughter for how many years, and yet, there is no hint of anger on her face.

            "Benedict granted me an opportunity to read one of her novels, and I must say... Although they were certainly provoking, one can never be too proud of one's children," she purses her lips together and gives him a thin-lipped smile. It looked more regretful than happy, he observed.

"I believe she is happy now, yes?"

"I would like to think so."

Violet lets out a breath, "Then I must thank you."

Theo cuts her off right then, "There is nothing to thank me for. In fact, I'm inclined to believe I merely encouraged her rebellion. After all, I'm sure you've heard about the political radi—"