Chapter 5: Okay

Chapter 5
Okay

I couldn't pull away as he stepped out of the car, closing the door and turning to us at the doorway. Diego and Declan stepped out, Declan with his head low as Elijah's eyes caught mine.

I kept my mouth shut as I gave him a once over. Still, neatly dressed in one of his infamous suits, his hair spiked in a slightly messy but suitable way. He stood tall, but despite his demeanour, I could see there was definitely something wrong. He had bags under his eyes that maybe wouldn't be noticed a mile off but they were there. His skin was a lot paler, his right had shook ever so slightly. He was tensed...Declan was right. I was wrong.

Elijah was unwell.
Very unwell.

"Get in the car." Was all he said as the boys moved, Declan shuffling past Elijah with his head low. As he passed, Elijah whipped his hand up, whacking the back of his head. He paused turning back to me to see Zeus by my side. "You too."

Zeus whined, his head too lowering, as he walked to the car. Echo nudged my leg before giving a longing look to Zeus. I chewed the inside of my lip before I sighed. I couldn't see this happen to them.

"Elijah."

He glanced at me as I looked around before saying the first thing that came to my mind. "Would you like a coffee?"

Elijah didn't say anything but looked at me momentarily before turning around. He stepped to the passenger side as the window came down. Diego glanced at me and then looked at Elijah.

"Take the car back, I'll...I'll phone." He handed the keys to Diego who clenched his jaw and nodded. The window went up and Diego got out, walking around the car as Elijah stepped closer to me, stopping at the bottom of the steps.

"I would love a coffee."

Zeus didn't waste any time to run back inside as I stepped to the side. Elijah stepped up and walked in.

༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ

Once I placed a mug down in front of him, I sat at the opposite end, gulping before I sipped on my own drink. Elijah glanced down amusingly at the design I did with the foam on top of his drink before he spoke.

"How's life?"

"Good. Really good..." I lied, taking another sip as I continued. "And yours?"

"It's what it's expected to be." He replied, his voice slightly more raspy as he coughed, covering his mouth and clearing his throat. "What's wrong with you?" I blurted out as he looked up.

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"Liar." I replied childishly as he only smiled. "You're one to talk." He finally looked at me and it was like he could see right through me. All the late night crying, the five months of not being able to step foot out the apartment, all the late night talks with Echo. I bit my lip.

"Amelia, you want the truth? My life is shit, as it is to be expected. I have seen things, said things and done things no one should. Karma has been brutally honest with me. Yes, I'm sick. No, I haven't and will seek help—"

"But why!" I leaned forward. Elijah frowned and raised an eyebrow. "Let me finish—"

"No. I get that you think bad things are happening to you because you've done some stupid shit but for gods sake, if you're sick, get checked out." I raised my voice. "I thought bad things happened to bad people but bad things happen to anyone. Life's a bitch. People's dreams shatter daily, princesses and princes don't exist because kings and queens don't have it easy, people fall and fail all the time. It's life. That doesn't mean you have to sit there and live with what's been dealt with. For gods sake, Elijah, you're the one everyone either wants be or is afraid of. Where's your fight?!" I hissed before standing up and taking my mug.

"We wouldn't have what we have now, if people in the past didn't test with what they had been dealt with. You're not going to have a future if you don't do something—"

I was cut off with hands around my waist, Elijah spinning me around as he pinned me against the wall. I gasped as he pressed close against me, our foreheads pressing together.

"Spare me the lecture, kitten. I've heard it all. I am not cowarding away or rolling over because the devil barks. I am choosing not to get into this." He growled, his voice more husky and raspy from his sickness. I kept looking at him but despite the scary position, I saw it. As quick as it came and disappeared but I still saw it. Sadness.

Sadness over his sickness? Why? Realisation hit me as I breathed in. "You already know what it is..."

He closed his eyes, his nose brushing against mine. "I hate it when you do that." He said, softly. I frowned but he continued.

"I hate it when you read me like that. Stop it." He opened his eyes again. I stared at him momentarily before I gulped.

"Elijah..."

"What?"

I couldn't say anything else but all it took was one look at me before he leaned in. His lips brushed against mine and my heart fluttered. My eyes slowly drew to a close as he whispered. "I can't have you."

And he pulled away. He cleared his throat as he stepped away, turning as I frowned. He's joking right? "But—"

"Don't. Just don't Amelia."

He stared at me sternly and that's when I saw something again. He was hiding something. There was something he was hiding. And I was going to find out what.

"Okay."

(;'༎ຶٹ༎ຶ')

Author note:

Ahh! The pain! It was physically painful to write this chapter. Why do you think Elijah can't have her? Thoughts on our new background characters: Declan and Diego?

Happy Easter everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been posting much. I was due to move house on the 31st May, but due to circumstances, the seller pulled out and we didn't get the house, so I'm still at my family's.

In the meantime, we're still looking and living almost in boxes! 😂

I hope you all had a great Easter and for my lovely readers that don't celebrate Easter, I still hope you had a fantastic weekend and holiday if you're in school!

Little secret: This chapter was originally going to be different but I could bare the thought of breaking Zeus and Echo up. 😭

Anyway, happy reading!
- Your (hopefully in the top 10) fav author ✍️