chapter three: inconvenience

as y/n was walking up the stairs, she noticed a sheltered balcony. "why not go enjoy the view?" she thought to herself as she walked up the nicely decorated inn. dihua marsh has always been a beautiful place. as she stepped out, she laid her elbows on the railing. it was nice and quiet, except the voices.

she could never enjoy herself without hearing them.

"who are you?" an husky, unknown voice questioned. as y/n turned around, she was only met with a pair of amber eyes. she immediately recognized them, for they were the exact same cat slit ones she admired earlier that day. she held her breath as she backed away quickly, ready to speak.

"my name is adeptus y/n.. what do you need from me?" she spoke hesitantly, her voice a little shaky as she studied his body more clearly this time.

xiaos eyes widened when he heard the word "adeptus". he didn't know how to react, but not giving in to her statement, for he knew nothing about her or if she was even an adeptus or not. "how come i've never seen you before?" he asked sternly. he watched as the so called "adeptus y/n" before him straighten her position and clear her throat, making direct eye contact with him this time.

"i don't know who you are, if you are adeptus or not. all i wish for if for you is to stay here, in dihua marsh and let me take care of people in need." she replied, ready to walk away when she suddenly felt a cold hand on her shoulder. she looked over to see his gloved hand on her shoulder, holding it firmly to make sure she doesn't walk away.

"my name is xiao. adeptus xiao. ive heard your name before in a meeting with rex lapis. he said. you were one of the new adepti, so i hope we can get along. otherwise, im asking you to stay put or my way." he responded in a strict tone. y/n swore she could feel her heart drop to her stomach when he said adeptus. she just wished rex lapis would have introduced her to the other adepti.

was she being too rude? was she too stern? thoughts rushed through her head while in the real world, a blank expression on her face. "i'm sorry for the inconvenience. i will be on my way now." she said, still facing around, hiding the slight blush on her face as she walked away, leaving him standing there.

when she got to some private, she mentally smacked herself across the face. "how could you do that!?" she muttered curses under her breath. she was so embarrassed, considering the fact she was a complete mess when talking to anyone. "how could you screw up your first encounter with one of the experienced adepti.." she said to herself almost silently.

however, she suddenly realized the butterflies in her stomach. she never felt this way, but she only felt it around him. she felt attracted to him, even though this is their first time interacting.

after all, this man was ethereal.