28.| I never had the courage of my convictions.

[A/N]: Hi! I'm deeply sorry for not updating on the 17th, my neighborhood's power went out sunday night and most of monday! Also, I won't be able to update next sunday and because of that this chapter is a lot longer than usual <3
— let me know if you like this writing style!

Y/N's index finger almost pressed the elevator button, but she hesitated. She remembered how long it's been a while since she last went grocery shopping, and even longer since she had some time to herself.

Y/N slowly closed her hand in a fist, her eyes studied the small silver circle and she pivoted on her heels, heading towards outside again.

As she walked, she paid attention to every unfamiliar face, almost every single person had a phone in their hands. Y/N saw two old ladies, they reminded her of what she should look like now and a shiver went down her spine; she glanced at her hand, just to be sure that she was still 26. Her hand was normal and she sighed in relief.

Y/N wasn't paying attention to where her feet were taking her, she looked at everything as she walked, trying to reach the memories of what it was like before. To an outside eye it could seem that she had never seen anything before; luckily, there weren't any eyes paying attention.

The stores were all decorated, creating the perfect Christmas mood, but the weather made it look like June; except that 2017's June wasn't as warm as December is now. She failed to find people wearing jackets and refused to admit the fraction of guilt she held, after all, she never meant to time travel and spend so many years in the future, nor to bring four more people along.

'At least some people are benefiting from it,' she thought, noticing how many kids and adults had either an ice cream cone or a popsicle in their hands. Y/N decided she'd get one for herself as well, since it was only getting hotter, and stopped by the closest ice cream shop she found.

She was waiting in line when she felt someone tapping her shoulder.

"Hey, you."

Y/N smiled as soon as she recognized that voice and turned around to face Lucy.

"Hi," she answered, but frowned when she looked at the clock, glued to the wall and counting down the days until Christmas. "I thought you'd be in New York by now, what happened?"

"Oh, no," Lucy chuckled, "My flight is tomorrow. Maybe I mistyped it when I told you, sorry."

"Don't worry," Y/N smiled, giving a tiny step forward, Lucy followed her. "Last minute Christmas shopping?" she asked, noticing the small light purple bag in her left hand.

"I guess you could say that," Lucy's gaze dropped to her own hand, "but just this one," she sheepishly smiled. If Y/N could guess, she would've said it's for Rami, but the blonde changed the subject, she didn't want to talk about it in such a public place. "Are you going away for the holidays?"

It took a minute for Y/N to realize that this was the first Christmas in five years she'd have company, since Sarah never stayed with her during holidays, and she hadn't planned a single thing.

"I might, I... haven't decided it, to be honest," a sad laugh escaped Y/N's lips. She didn't notice how fast time was passing.

Lucy gestured with her chin towards the empty spot in front of Y/N, who took another step forward "Well, whether you're traveling or not, I don't want this to be that last time I see you," Lucy saind, the tint of excitement in her voice went unnoticed by Y/N, whose eyes slightly bulged at Lucy.

Y/N nervously scoffed, "Why would that be the last time you see me?" She asked.

Lucy knitted her brows, "The last time this year... Y/N, are you okay?"