Chapter 7: First Blood

Because they were to patrol a couple of miles within the border, Team 8 was required to set up their own camp well back from the boundary with the Land of Earth. Kurenai merely shook her head when their first patrol discovered the subtle traces of Dariketsu's camp. They had claimed a small clearing within sight of the actual border. Naruto supposed the Hokage had been right... those bakas were spoiling for a fight if they did that.

Naruto tried to pay close attention to how Kurenai-sensei had them do things, because there was almost always a reason behind it... like the way they randomly varied their patrol patterns to make it harder for someone to slip by them undetected. It was embarrassing, but sometimes he did have to ask her why. At least she didn't berate him for being stupid when she answered his questions.

Instead, she seemed pleased that he wanted to know. Not knowing why she did this began to bother him until he finally had to ask her about that as well. Some instinct made him wait until Hinata and Shino were sparring after dinner, because he wasn't sure what the answer would be.

Kurenai kept her eyes on her students as they fought. Running the patrols was helping their speed and endurance, but she said she still wanted them to train a little when they took breaks. If their bodies were too tired, she would go into what Naruto recognized as her "lecture mode" and talk to them about things they needed to know. Those were usually interesting, but it was another time when she also welcomed questions. Why was this so?

"Ano, Sensei," Naruto said in a low voice as Hinata slapped aside Shino's punch and made a strike toward his midsection that forced him to quickly backpedal. She still wore the weights, but they were slowing her down less and less. He wondered if she even noticed this.

"What is it, Naruto?" Kurenai replied.

"Er, I've been asking a lot of questions lately," he said, but his voice trailed off. How could he say this without sounding like a baka?

"Yes," she said, her eyes still on the combatants, "I'm glad you've been taking a more active role in learning strategy and tactics."

"But that's just it," Naruto said, the words tumbling out easier now. "Why are you so happy that I'm asking all these questions? Almost all the teachers at the Academy got mad when I ask questions!"

"Everyone but Iruka?" she asked softly, Shino used his greater reach to force Hinata to retreat again.

Naruto shrugged. "Iruka's different. He grew up without parents like I did, so he cuts me a break."

"No," Kurenai said firmly, "he's not. He's doing his job properly. Evidently, he's one of the few instructors that is."

"Nani?" Naruto asked, his eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

Kurenai sighed. "Naruto, why do you ask those questions? Are you seeking attention? Are you trying to delay me so I don't start talking about a new subject? Or are you simply trying to irritate me?"

"No Sensei!" Naruto said quickly, "I just asked because I wanted to know!"

"Exactly," Kurenai murmured as Hinata leapt over Shino's leg sweep. "A student that actually wants to learn is a blessing to a teacher. Why should I want to discourage that?"

"But... why didn't the instructors want..." Naruto's voice trailed off. "It's because of me, isn't it?" he asked coldly.

"Not precisely," Kurenai said in a voice little more than a whisper. "Naruto, I'm not going to excuse their behavior, but I think it might help you to understand. When the Kyuubi attacked, it was like a natural disaster. It was unstoppable. I was miles away from the battle and I could still feel... it. More chakra and killing intent than I'd ever imagined was possible to exist. I'd never been more afraid in my life, and I imagine that was true for everyone else in Konoha. Then it was defeated, but at the cost of the Yondaime's life. It's hard explain how much we all loved the Fourth Hokage, but I think any one of us would have given their lives in his place, were it possible. But then he was gone, and so was the demon responsible for his death. Everyone was angry and grieving for the Hokage and everyone else who'd died... and there was no real outlet for that grief and rage. I know the Third and Fourth Hokages wanted you to be seen as the savior of the village, but I don't think it was possible, not with everyone still full of rage. Especially since there was really only one obvious outlet for that rage..."