CHAPTER ONE

Miracles are something that very rarely present themselves to the people who need them most

Miracles are something that very rarely present themselves to the people who need them most. For a woman, who lived 104 years with no hope of having a family of her own - a baby was a miracle. The sounds of wails in the middle of the night is what confused the Cullen family, no one had heard anyone walk to the porch, let alone leave. The heavy cries of a newborn baby was the only proof anyone had been there at all. The visions of a baby had been filling Alice's mind in the past few years, but she didn't know how long it would take. Carlisle Cullen was the first to step out of the house, only hearing a heartbeat but there was no lingering scent around the property. Picking up the baby, there was nothing outside of the large bundle of blankets except for a single note.

'Carlisle,
I hope Alice and Jasper can love my daughter as I have.
I know they will give her the life I can no longer provide.
The tribe was attacked,
I leave my little girl to your family.

Born May 18th 1991.

Please, take care of my baby.
-Susana Quinn.'

"Carlisle?" The voice of his wife broke the man's trance. "Who's is she?" Esme asked, walking up to him, and placing her hand on his shoulder. "Susana's." Carlisle informed solemnly. Esme held her chest, where her heart had once beat, in shock. "I was supposed to see her this weekend. What happened?" Esme asked quickly, leading her husband into the house and out of the cold. "The tribe.. It was attacked. I should take Emmett and Edward to take a look at things - see what we can find." the man said, his voice low and full of remorse while learning of the death of one of their dear friends.

The Arcane tribe was one of ancient magic, and long lines of Warriors. While they lived in the mountains of Washington, they had made peace with Vampires centuries ago. Unfortunately, some covens didn't see usefulness in the Arcane people, and would turn against the truce. Despite this, the Arcane people were patient and forgiving; never letting the mistake of a few define the many. Several decades ago, Carlisle had met Susana on a trip to the mountains, the two befriending each other and often having each other over for visits. The Arcanes held a special kind of ancient magic, but it often skipped generations; they were elementals that could influence the land around them. Elementals were rare, and often could only control one element, but Susana had suspicions that her daughter was different. In the last conversation that Carlisle had with the woman, she had started to express concerns that her daughter was much stronger than anyone could know. She was already showing signs of controlling most of the elements, and some other powers as well.

"Alice." Carlisle called, the woman appearing in front of him quickly. "What is it?" she asked, before Carlisle handed her the note that was attached to the baby's blanket. Alice read the letter quickly, before looking up to Jasper who was now beside her. "She's entrusting her to us?" Alice asked, making Carlisle nod his head in agreement. "Susana often talked about how she believed Jasper's gift would help a lot while raising a child - she knew of your visions as well." Carlisle explained to the two. "Can I hold her?" Alice asked softly, before Carlisle nodded his head and handed the girl the baby.

"I don't smell blood." Jasper commented, before looking up to the blonde man. "I know. One of the mysteries of the Arcane people." Carlisle muttered. "Even if you could, I don't think you would find it appealing," he added. Not long after, Carlisle had taken Emmett and Edward out of the mountains in hopes of finding any clues on who had made the attack. "Susana never told us her name," Esme informed, walking into the living room that Alice and Jasper sat cooing over the child. "So, what are you thinking?" the woman asked.

"Emmett suggested Harley." Jasper informed his mate and the woman. Alice let out a soft laugh, before locking eyes with the bright blue eyes of their newfound daughter. "Harley Hale, how perfect."