3

『once upon a time

『once upon a time...』

UPON TURNING EIGHTEEN, yuriko was sent many letters and gifts begging for her hand in marriage. obviously she had getō and gojō burn them, only occasionally keeping a few for a good laugh.

"I heard the first prince from the zen'in kingdom proposed with a thousand roses and a necklace made of pink pearls", chimon stated, moving his pawn forwards, as yuriko chose to attack with her bishop.

     "he did. I plucked the rose petals and indulged in a sweet smelling rose bath", the eighteen year-old honestly replied.

     "he's not your cup of tea?", her father chuckled, threatening yuriko's king with his knight.

     gojō and getō were silently observing the chess game, as yuriko pondered her next move.

     "he's far from it. if he thinks some roses and pearls would be enough to chain me down as his wife, he's dead wrong".

     chimon lightly chuckled before strongly coughing, to which he had soothed the throaty itch with some oolong tea.

     the dark-haired girl's gaze flickered towards the teacup with great curiosity.

     "why do you still drink that tea?", she asked, watching as her father dispatched his rook.

     "it's good", he simply answered.

     "is it not bitter?", yuriko questioned, taking away her father's queen, as he was down an important piece.

     "no", chimon smiled, "not at all".

     gojō and getō couldn't help but wonder if there was a double meaning behind the father-daughter interaction.

     amongst the public eye, the japana family seemed like the perfect household. however, every ménage had their own secrets.

     "I see..."

     "yuriko, you're sidetracked again", chimon teased, cornering the girl's king, as she now had no way to protect it.

"apologies, father. it was over presumptuous of me to think that I would win upon taking away your queen".

"you should keep focus on the main goal, yuriko. don't let a little sacrifice cloud your sight".

the eighteen year-old nodded, as chimon started coughing again, dismissing his eldest daughter.

"ah, summon your mother for me, won't you, sweetheart?"