Chapter XII

Malisa had never met a god before, especially one who had the claim to be her father. Even though she had been in the presence of Ourania, that didn't count— the goddess had arrived on her mother's request, and was barely corporeal. But this— Eros was real and waiting for her to make her move.

But she wasn't there to grovel or beg or kiss his knuckles in worship. She was there with a purpose, and she wouldn't allow pleasantries to waste her time

Instead, she held his gaze levelly. "I require you to remove the curse you bestowed upon me."

Behind him, Mero snorted while shaking his head, and Otho gave her that sympathetic smile. If Eros heard anything he didn't make it known as he continued to admire Malisa with that smile as he withdrew his hand.

"It seems, even after all this time, your mother refused to teach you manners."

"My mother no longer has anything to do with this. I've come here to ask you to remove whatever it was you've done to me, and I will not leave until you do so."

"And what have I done to you?" Eros asked with a tilt of his head. "What hardships have been bestowed upon you within the mortal realm that you feel such need to blame them on me?"

"I've killed everyone that's ever cared for me."

"Is that so?" He turned on his heel, ascending the dais back to the throne as he spoke. "Your mother and father seem to be quite alive."

"He's not my father," she snarled.

Eros gave her a glance over his shoulder with a sly smile. "I agree, and I'm glad you are aware as well."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"It has to do with everything," he told her as he returned to his marble seat. "Could it be possible that you are not so much as cursed, but rather just have terrible luck when it comes to relationships?"

"You and I both know what you did to my mother," Malisa told him. "I've seen the scar."

"That was my best arrow," he conceded with a sigh, almost reminiscent.

"Then you know why I am here, and I am not leaving until you remove the curse."

"But I did not curse you," Eros corrected. "The curse was bestowed upon your mother. That it passed along down to you was purely..."

"Coincidence?"

"Hardly. The gods do believe in coincidence— everything happens exactly as it must."

"Then you know well enough why I am here."

"I know why you are here. What I do not understand is why it is you and not your mother? She was so ready to sacrifice everything for you before you were even born, and yet here you are, putting you on the offering table just as ready to sacrifice you herself."

"My mother no longer has a part in this. I am here— it was my decision. This is what you wanted, and we both know it. I am your daughter, as much as you despise the fact she kept you from me. And now I am here to correct whatever wrongs may have been done to you to release me from your wrath."

A laughter erupted from Eros unlike any Malisa had considered possible. It was part pure enjoyment, part... pity?

"This is not my wrath, daughter of Anyma. This is retribution for denying me what once was mine. That is not wrath. That is compensation."

"Then consider me the debt, paid in full. Whatever it takes, I will do it. Just please— free me from this."

"And then what?"

"What do you mean?"

Eros leaned forward in his chair, bracing his arms on his thighs as he looked down at her. A very human-like gesture.

"Say I do consider the debt paid, the curse lifted and allow you on your way. What then? Where will you go? What will you do?"

Malisa watched him for a moment, her attention darting between the three of them as they all seemed to watch her with the same keen look. What would she do? She came here to end the destruction that seemed to follow her wherever she went, but then what? She couldn't return to the manor, knowing what she knew now. Boreas would have her arrested on sight, if not worse, but she would have to somehow get her mother and escape. But again, where could they go? And what would support them once they were there?

"That's what I thought."

Eros cut into her thoughts, looking out at the window across from him. "I suppose you will have time to consider it while you're here, just as I will need to consider what you will need to do for me to prove yourself worthy of not only lifting my wrath, as you say, but also proving yourself to me as the child of a god."

"So you do acknowledge me for who I am?"

"I acknowledged you for who you were before you were even born." His voice turned soft, wistful. "It was your mother who denied me you, and who denied you your birthright. A child of a god should not be subjected to the mortal realm if given the option to live in the clouds."

That dreamlike tone vanished as quickly as it arrived and Eros returned his attention to Malisa.

"You'll join me for dinner, and we will discuss how we will proceed. In the meantime, Otho will bring you to your room, which will be yours for your time here. Otherwise, you're free to do what you wish."

"That's it?"

"Did you need more?"

"I just thought..."

"Thought that I would rage and smite you where you stood?" Eros let out another chuckle. "Mortals tell the stories they want others to hear to make themselves think they have it better than we could offer. In truth, you will want for nothing while you are within my domain, and if there is something you do want, merely let my generals know and they will obtain it for you."

With that, he turned to Otho. "Please show our guest to her room and see that she has everything she'll need for her time here."

"Of course, my lord." Otho nodded.

Turning to Mero, Eros said, "Stay for a word."

Mero silently nodded, saying no more.

Taking it as a reason to leave, Otho stepped from his spot next to Eros' throne and approached Malisa with an arm extended to guide her out of the throne room. "This way, my lady."

She deigned to follow as Eros spoke behind her.

"Malisa, before you go."

She stopped mid-step and turned back to face the god in his alabaster throne.

"It's been so long since I've had a guest. There is but one rule in my domain— you do not go to the highest floor of the tallest tower. It is strictly forbidden, even to my generals. If you even breathe anywhere close to it I will know, and you will be expelled from the palace so fast, even Otho won't be able to fly fast enough to catch you."

She perked a brow. "What's in the tallest tower?"

That condescending smile once again crossed over the face of the god. "Such a mortal quality, being unable to let something go when they're told not to do it."

"If you haven't noticed, mortals are very good at going where they're told not to."

"Oh, I'm well aware, which is why I was even more disappointed when your mother rejected me. Don't you disappoint me too."