001

CHAPTER ONE
The Last Dance (Part 1)

________________________________________________________________________________

-Mystic Falls, Virginia 2010-
-Klaus-

Klaus Mikaelson truly loathed the body he was currently inhabiting. While he wasn't incredibly vain in his own looks, he was still rather partial to the skin that he spent over a thousand years inhabiting. Plus, it was far more durable than the human he was wearing. He actually sneered at his reflection in the rearview mirror of the car he was driving, deciding he also hated the piece of junk that this history teacher deemed suitable to own. Klaus had no problems affording the finer things in life after a thousand years of saving money, and always spent the most that he could on luxuries presented to him.

Sighing slightly, he finally pulled up outside of the Salvatore Boarding House where Katerina had said the local "Scooby gang," as she put it, usually congregated. He checked his outfit choices and the way his hair sat in the mirror one last time before he exited the car and headed inside. He rapped on the door twice, and then twice more before he opened in. Lucky for him, most of them were there, all standing in the foyer. Their eyes moved to him and his gaze lingered for a second on Elena before he looked to Damon as he spoke.

"There you are," Damon said.

"Sorry I'm late," Klaus/Alaric said, turning to shut the door behind him and hide the grin that threatened at the deliciousness of the situation. He could eavesdrop as much as he wanted to without worrying that they were going to get suspicious of him.

This is far too brilliant, he thought.

"Hey, I need you to put me down as a chaperone at the dance tonight. Klaus made his first move," Damon said, taking a couple steps closer too him. Klaus faltered for a split second before giving a sight nod.

"Okay, so we find him and then what, hmm? What's our plan of attack?" Elena wondered, arms crossing over her chest as she looked between her friends.

"Me." Bonnie shrugged. "I'm the plan. He has no idea how much power I can channel. If you can find him, I can kill him," she said.

The witch sounded incredibly confident and his eyes flickered over to her, casting a gaze along her. He knew of the Bennett witches, of course. The woman who had been a friend of his mother back in the day was an ancestor of Bonnie's. They were incredibly powerful, more so than even his mother, and he honestly didn't doubt that this young one had that kind of power, too. Not that it sat well with him, of course. Klaus took pride in the fact that he was invincible, and had no plans of dying anytime soon. He had a curse to break, hybrids to turn, and eventually a father to find. Mikael disappeared nearly twenty years ago, but Klaus wasn't ready to give up on finding him and ending him.

Just as he promised his siblings; Mikael had a war on his head raging for a thousand years now.

Ever since he killed her.

"That's not going to be that easy," Klaus/Alaric said with a slight laugh. "I mean, he is the biggest, baddest vampire around." He scoffed and forced his thoughts away from that particularly rough subject, the one he hadn't allowed himself to think about or feel for going on five centuries now.

"Alaric has a point. I mean, what if he—" Damon stopped as he rushed at Bonnie in a flash, but she caught him as he was about two feet away. With a quirk of the eyebrow, she flung him to the other side of the room without breaking a sweat. Klaus resisted the urge to smirk and congratulate her as he raised an eyebrow, glancing at Stefan—Hello, old friend, he thought—who mimicked his expression.