2. bizarre

2. bizarre

"Seriously?" 

"What is the matter with you two?"

Aarohi and Akshara thought they would get grounded for a week, maybe even a fortnight, no TV and no screen time, maybe no junk either and definitely no playtime. But when their parents did the most bizarre thing, that is handcuffing them in a steel police cuff, they could not believe them. Akshara shook her head, considering this as a feeble attempt to make a joke by their parents, while Aarohi tried getting her wrist out of them, but could not. The mere attempt to get her hand out had slightly given her a reddish bruise on her wrist and her mother told her to not struggle, lest she wanted to live the day with a bruise. 

"The matter is simple," Naira eyed them, this time she did not kneel down to talk to her kids, which she always did. This time she spoke with authority and aura, and the girls' lowered their gaze. "You two will spend the entire day today, till midnight, in these cuffs." She said, ignoring how flabbergasted the kids were, "both of you need to get to know each other, and what best than being tied together?" Akshara frowned, she examined her mother, trying to understand whether or not she was kidding, but soon realised she was not.

"Please!" Aarohi requested, struggling and with her Akshara lost her balance, "I cannot stay with Akshara for ten minutes without wanting to bang my head." Akshara rolled her eyes, "Papa, aap bolo na, main nahi reh sakti aise."

"Haan mumma," Akshara voiced, pulling Aarohi along as she held Naira's hand, "ye Aarohi ke saath pura dinn? Mujhse nahi hoga, pata hai harr baat pe roti hai yeh."

"I do not!" 

"You do too!"

"NO!"

"YES!"

The girls were now matching each other's eyes, pointing their fingers' at each other while Karthik and Naira shook their heads. "Stop it you two," Karthik barged in, and the girls looked at their dad, "you two have to learn a thing or two about working in a team, and a sister is the best thing that can happen to you. Trust me." 

"Aarohi aur best thing?"

"Akshara ke saath team?"  

They looked at each other, scoffing, "Never," They said in unison and Naira had enough of the two.

"Listen, tumhe jhagdna hai ki saath rehna hai, that is upto you. But today you two are going to be tied and that is final."

Akshara softened her tone, she knew being angry would not help, "Mumma, you tell me how am I to practice for the competition with this mendak on my arm?" She ignored Aarohi's frown, and Karthik's sigh, "please can we do this exercise tomorrow?"

"Haan mumma," Aarohi joined in, pleading softly at her mother and her father, "I have to go to the library for a couple of hours, how am I to study with this sherni always roaring besides me?" 

Karthik awed at his daughters', he could definitely not see them in discomfort and never deny their proposals when they spoke so softly to him. He tilted his head, his hand digging the key from his pocket and he would have unlocked the cuffs if Naira hadn't caught him at the last minute.

"Karthik!" Naira turned to face her husband, glaring at him, the girls behind their tall mother and making all the puppy faces they can at their father. "We decided this right?"

"Haan," Karthik gulped, eyeing his girls and his girl, confused on what he should do, "but you know I cannot say no to them when they are this cute!" Akshara and Aarohi nodded, pouting and acting all naïve but Naira snatched the key from him.

"You shut your eyes," She instructed her husband who immediately obliged, and then turned to the girls who now straightened up, "and you two, work it out together. You both are free to stay at home and fight all you want, but if you do wanna practice and study, you have to do it together." With that Naira threw the key out the window, making Akshara and Aarohi to gasp. "Let's go Karthik." Naira guided the blind Karthik out of the girls' room while Akshara and Aarohi sighed, looking at each other and already done with the day.

Akshara pulled Aarohi towards her side of the bed, while Aarohi wanted to sit on her bed, which was on the opposite side. Aarohi hated invasion of privacy, and Akshara hated hindrance to her music, and hence they both stood in the centre of their room. 

"Can't you sit on my bed?" Akshara asked, while Aarohi matched her gaze.

"I can ask you the same thing."

"Main badi hu,"

"Mera bed tumhare bed se zyaada clean hai." Aarohi pointed with her left hand, the same which was tied with Akshara's right hand. "There is no way I sit on that mess." Truly it was a mess, Akshara was not the well organised between the two, and her bed which had her guitar, the keyboard, all of her books, few scattered pages and music sheets flying about did not help her case. 

"Atlease I am not a nerd like you," Akshara pointed to Aarohi's bed, clean and neat, but her study shelf was piled with books, not just curriculum wise, there were a lot of story books too, novels and digests which Aarohi loved reading. "Tum third standard main ho, tenth main nahi."

Aarohi gritted her teeth, trying to pull Akshara towards her bed, but Akshara was pulling her to hers, and once again they got in a tug-of-war, leading to nothing but for both of them to have slight red bruises on their hands and for them to sit on the floor at the end, back against the other. 

"Ye plan kaam karega?" Karthik was doubtful, he already did not like how his two girls were struggling. "You sure right, Naira?" 

"Do you have anything better?" Naira whispered to her husband, as they watched their girls' from the open door. Karthik shook his head, "so you have nothing but to oblige with me."

"When have I not?" Karthik muttered, to which Naira shushed him, both of them eyeing the girls again. 

They both had nothing to do but watch.

_

A/N

This is going to be a short story, only ten so chapters. 

Also, if you are reading this and enjoying it, do consider voting and penning down your thoughts. Helps me a lot to write further.

VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE