What We See and What We Can't

Their tour begins with the kitchen, Luka trailing a step behind his captain as he shows him where everything is. He's informed that the crew used to rotate cooking-duty until Bart came aboard. He worked in a bakery during his youth and knows how to make nearly anything from scratch. At first, Theo was worried that sticking him in the kitchen full time wouldn't be fair, but the lad loves the work. Plus he has Miles' help, which they can all tell he really doesn't mind.

Just down the hall from the kitchen are the crew's quarters. They are bunked-up two to a room, paired as so: Zizi and Bowie, Harry and Bart, Miles and Jewel, and there's an extra room which is designated for Tide, though he mainly sleeps in Theo's chambers, or wherever he pleases.

Luka hooks a hand around Theo's bicep to pull him to a stop, laughing heartily, "You mean to tell me that the cat has his own room?"

Theo's smile touches his eyes as he glances down at Luka's hand, which he then drops, "It's a running joke actually. Miles is our main complainant on the topic, though they sleep during the day and Jewel crashes there at night, so in essence they already have their own space."

Luka is still giggling as they continue through the maze-like hallways towards the lowest chamber of the hull which contains the cannons and miscellaneous equipment, and Theo could listen to that sound forever.

"That does remind me: I've been trying to work out sleeping arrangements for you. We don't have any available rooms, but I figured you could bunk with Miles and Jewel since there is an available bed at night. But, that is a no-go."

The captain sighs, descending the steps and pushing open the heavy metal door between them and the munitions, "Those two haven't had the easiest time, and they're very protective of their space. So when they say that they'd like to keep things as they are, I have to allow them that."

Luka runs his palm along the barrel of a large cannon as he weaves through the endless rows of weapons, "I understand. I wouldn't want to invade a space that's sacred to them, especially if they've not had something like that before."

"Your understanding would win their favor," Theo comments, "Though I don't think you'll have any trouble with that on your own."

"You view me too highly."

Theo hums, "I disagree rather vehemently. But, back to the matter at hand: I thought of relocating Tide, since the whole ship is his, but seeing as he uses the room as a lavatory, it permanently smells of urine, and it's quite overwhelming.

"The only solution I have for you at the moment is to take my chambers, just until we figure something out."

Luka shakes his head, though the movement is not visible to his companion, "No."

Theo scoffs, "No?"

"I couldn't take your bed, it wouldn't be right. You're the captain, and everyone aboard this vessel relies on you being well-rested."

"You're quite challenging, has anyone told you this or am I the first?" Theo inquires.

A memory of Bellows' hand wrapped around his  throat as Luka laughed in his face floods Luka's consciousness. 'You're infuriating,' he'd growled, but Luka knew he loved it.

The younger man pinches his bottom lip to contain his smile though there's no one to see it, "I'm not challenging, I'm just right."