For What It's Worth ≫ Stormfur x Female! Reader

Art: Warrior Cats Designs

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Angst
• Mentioned death

****

It was raining again. You had lost count of how many times the sky had turned a miserable gray and cried since TigerClan's fall. It seemed like it had been wet and cold everywhere you went forever. You had received your warrior name merely two sunrises ago, but you couldn't find it in yourself to rejoice. Your dear father, the last living relative you had, was killed by Tigerstar's tyrant of a deputy while your leader just stood by and watched. Stormpaw and Featherpaw had been there, too. They had also witnessed the unimaginable horrors.

The wild rose you had dropped on the mound of dirt was begging to wither away in the rain, it's once lush and bright red petals now reduced to a dull, miserable color of their former beauty. You watched the color slowly disappear, an achingly numb feeling residing where your heart should've been. "I'm sorry dad," You whispered to the ground. "I'm sorry I let you down. You told me to be brave, and I turned away like a coward. It should've been me that died, not you." Thunder roared somewhere far off in the distance, and the rain began to fall harder. You watched as the last of the petals disappeared into your father's grave, your stomach twisting into a painful knot. Why did it have to be you...?

"(Y/N)..." A sad murmur, followed by the slight sensation of a tail sweeping down your spine pulled you from your thoughts. You blinked the last few tears from your eyes and looked up into a pair of tired amber eyes. Stormfur. Of course it had to be Stormfur.

"What?" You replied flatly. The half-clan tom's eyebrows raised in surprise. You continued to stare at him with nothing but annoyance, your teeth clenching together. You had grown to despise your former friend since he was given part of your father's name.

"I... I was worried about you," He began timidly, averting his gaze as if he was still an apprentice being scorned. "so I decided to see where you were. I...kinda figured you'd be here." He smiled nervously. You ignored him, turning your attention back to the disturbed earth. I don't owe him anything. I don't have to talk to him. Stormfur allowed the rain to fill the silence for another few heartbeats before taking a single step toward you and following your gaze to the recently-dug grave.

"Stonefur was the bravest cat I knew," He murmured distantly, as if lost in his memories. "I'm so proud to say I was his apprentice. He taught me so much. RiverClan was very lucky to have him as a warrior." You looked away, seething despite your soaked pelt. It wasn't fair that Stormfur got to spend more time with your father than you did when he was alive.

"Leopardstar named you in honor of my father," You replied harshly, turning to glare at your clanmate. "You better be the greatest warrior the forest has ever seen." The dark gray tom flinched at your tone, slowly looking back at the ground without saying a word. Then, he sighed softly and rested his tail-tip on yours.

"I'm so sorry, (Y/N). I'm sorry you've lost so much. It's not fair at all, and it's really not fair that I got named after your father before you. I wish things had turned out different. I really do." He fell silent again, turning his head to look at you with compassionate eyes full of genuine sympathy. "I didn't know your father like you did, (Y/N). But for what it's worth, I love him too." You stared at Stormfur for what felt like an eternity, tears brimming in your eyes and disappearing in the rainwater that streamed down your face. You finally broke hold of his gaze, allowing your shoulders to slump in defeat. There was no point in hiding your emotions from anyone; they already knew you were hurting.

"Thank you Stormfur," You murmured tiredly. "That means a lot to me." Your friend smiled at you sadly, then gently twined his tail with yours. You accepted the comforting gesture and moved a little closer to him. The storm had finally began to settle down, and the downpour was reduced to a light sprinkle. The dark gray clouds slowly began to disperse, revealing the milky purple twilight that had been hiding behind them. For the first time since TigerClan's reign, you felt at peace.

"Let's go home." Stormfur meowed gently, nudging you to your paws. You obliged, allowing the dark gray tom to guide you back across the marshy clearing. Maybe what Stormfur had said was worth something; maybe all you needed was someone to lean on.

****

This didn't come out as good as my other one-shots IMO, but it's 5:30 in the morning and I didn't necessarily decide on a specific plot. I just kinda went with it

Remember, kids: If you're going to spend three hours writing, deleting, and rewriting a one-shot, do it before you're going to sleep