A Mentor's Pride ≫ Featherwhisker x Female! Medicine Cat! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: murkbone

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Angst
• Death
• Some gore

****

You sighed as you placed the last remaining clump of marigold in it's proper crevice. It had been a horrendously long day, and it seemed to go on forever. ThunderClan had been fighting with ShadowClan over stolen prey for moons, and it had finally boiled over into a full-on battle earlier that day. ThunderClan won, but it came at a great cost. Adderfang had been killed in the fight. You had rushed to his side, but despite your best efforts, the dark brown tabby had bled too much.
It was out of your control, You told yourself, struggling to see your herbs through a blur of tears.
There was nothing anyone could've done.
Still, you couldn't shake the gnawing feeling of guilt that came with losing a clanmate you were supposed to save. You had been a full medicine cat for two moons, and you were still as useless as an apprentice.
StarClan, forgive me...
The sound of rustling ferns reached your ears, followed by your former mentor's scent wreathing around you. You didn't look up from your work, instead continuing to absentmindedly sort herbs.
"(Y/N)." He meowed gently, pulling you out of your trance. You slowly looked up at him, your eyes heavy.

"I couldn't save him," You meowed, fighting to keep the tears inside your eyes. "Adderfang hunts with StarClan now."
Featherwhisker gazed gently at you for a moment, then sighed and nodded in understanding. You thought you detected a small hint of remorse in his gaze, but it was gone before you could fully analyze it.

"You know we can't save every cat that comes into our den," He began, his voice still as gentle as before. "even if we want to. Some wounds just can't be healed, (Y/N). That's just the way it is."
You sank your claws into the mossy ground, clenching your teeth to stop a slew of curses and frustrated cries from escaping your right throat. You knew Featherwhisker was right, but that's what was making you angry.
You sighed, tossing the last dock leaf into the herb store and rising to your paws. Your former mentor watched you pad lightly to the den entrance, his eyes full of concern.

"I'm going to find some more marigold." You meowed, not pausing to look back at Featherwhisker.
"I'll be back before moonrise. Don't feel like you have to wait up for me, okay?"
You heard a single syllable leave the older medicine cat's mouth as if he was about to call after you, but you ignored it and continued trotting past the weary faces of your clanmates until you reached the bracken tunnel that lead into camp.
They can't see me crying over a fallen warrior, You decided as you slipped out of camp and into the shadowy forest. Especially Featherwhisker.
You knew that if your former mentor knew you were this shaken up over Adderfang's death, he would be unhappy. What kind of medicine cat were you if you couldn't even keep your emotions in check?
The sound of flowing water reached your ears, and you slowed your pace to a walk as you approached the secluded stones of sunningrocks.
"I'm sorry, Adderfang," You whispered to the darkening sky. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you..."
Then, you sat down, and for the first time in moons, you began to cry.

Featherwhisker's POV

Featherwhisker watched (Y/N) disappear through the ferns that concealed the entrance to the medicine den, his heart twisting.
"(Y/N)—" He began, but quickly realized that it was of no use. When the (F/C) she-cat made up her mind, there was no changing her perspective. He had learned that by spending so many moons with her.
Featherwhisker sat back on his haunches, his shoulders slumping. He wanted to say something that would make her feel better, but he had no idea where to start. This had been her first casualty, and he could imagine that she must be shaken up.
Featherwhisker thought back to the first time he had seen a cat die. It had been a nasty case of greencough, and he had watched the life slip out of the warrior's eyes as he did nothing but stare helplessly.
He shivered, pulling himself back to reality.
(Y/N) needs to be reminded that she can still help her clanmates. He glanced around the den, looking for anything that could serve a purpose for his new plan. At first, nothing looked promising, and Featherwhisker began to lose hope. Then, he noticed a fresh bundle of catmint laying next to some juniper berries, and he got an idea.
That's it! (Y/N) is probably at sunningrocks. All I have to do is make sure she doesn't see me planning this.
Chuckling to himself in a confident way, Featherwhisker rose to his paws and slipped out of his den. (Y/N) would have to feel good about herself after this.