Chapter 1 - Tulips

Present Time

Elizabeth awoke in her bed, excited for the re-arrival of the ton

Elizabeth awoke in her bed, excited for the re-arrival of the ton. After opening the library at the tail end of the season, she was ecstatic to finally put the books to work. Her cold feet found her slippers, almost jumping out of bed. She stretched her arms and neck out, sore from finishing a book on astronomy the night before in an uncomfortable looking position.
Per usual, she was the first to wake in her quaint home, sharing the rent and space with her dearest friends William and Genevieve. After meeting him, William quickly introduced Elizabeth to Genevieve, and the three of them became an inseparable trio. The seductive modiste, enthusiastic florist, and grounded librarian, ready to dominate the world one dress, flower, and book at a time.
Walking to the kitchen, a disheveled and poorly dressed man exits one door and slams the next, a clear look of anger on his face. Elizabeth shrugged, not wanting to deal with Genevieve's affairs. Who was she to judge her lifestyle when she sat in an empty building all day, calling it work?

But that is about change, she thought to herself, filling a kettle with water.
Just as the water started to boil, the lady of the hour came out of her room.

"Good morning Eliza, prepared for the crowd of the ton?" she smirked.

"I could hardly sleep! Finally, someone other than the cake-loving jeweler or occasional merchant walking in. I acquired new books on dancing, just for the occasion!" Eliza spoke, anxious for the arrival of lords and ladies coming to the library in need of advice to woo a partner in consideration.

"Do not forget about that one lady who dresses as a bird! I do not understand how you allow for her to do that Gen." William exclaimed, entering the kitchen in his pajamas, proving to the ladies he had just awakened.

Genevieve turned to him in mock offense. "Business is business, as any businessman with half a brain shall know! Why, I marvel at the man who sells dying plants to his customers."

"How dare you! I will have you know, I do not just sell bouquets. Ravenea rivularis is quite popular amongst the lords who wish to bring some color to their dull studies-"

"Yes yes yes, and as exciting as that is, your breakfast is growing colder with every second you waste bickering." Elizabeth interrupted, setting crumpets and jam on the table as the two talked.

"But in all honesty, are you ready for your first season? Even though people like us do not attend the fancy balls, it is still quite entertaining." Genevieve said as she smeared butter onto her pastry.

William stirred sugar into his tea and scoffed. "What the faux French really means is that every person with no money simply gossips the entire time, even placing bets on who shall wed who. And I won the Featherington gamble, very proud of that!"

"Need i remind you, Lord Feathering returned to the Americas soon after I moved here so your win does not count-"

"Gen! Did you manage to finish all of those dresses in time for the prevention today?" William said, not wanting to be embarrassed by Elizabeth.