Prolougue: The World That Once Was Here

"That constellation is known as the eastern lily. It is the sign of our people" Eder whispered, pressing his lips to Tai's forehead. "If you ever feel lost, just look to the sky and it will be there".

Dawn laughed, watching as her husband pulled their daughter closer. They were only a few days away from the coast of New Ivy Haven and the beginning of their new lives. It would be a relief to reach solid land again, Eder had been seasick all week.

"And that one," Eder pointed to another constellation. "Is the Spirit. It represents those who fight for what is right, no matter how hard and dangerous". Tai yawned and Eder frowned. "Do my stories bore you? That's not very nice".

A shadow passed over their ship and Dawn looked up nervously. The underbelly of a black dragon blocked out the stars for a moment. Then it was gone, like a cloud on the breeze.

Dawn let out a sigh of relief and Eder squeezed her hand. "Don't worry, we'll reach New Ivy Haven soon and this nightmare will be over. The war in Li Lai will be but a distant dream".

"And in New Ivy Haven people will pay to see us with all the money they have" Melisse shouted, leaning back over the railing to stare into the sea. "People will tell stories of Melisse, the greatest contortionist, and her little helpers".

Conrad frowned at his niece. "You're not even the main act, why would people refer to you as the greatest". Melisse frowned.

"Let her have it," Eder shouted. "Once we perform our first show, everyone will only talk about the great Melisse. No other contortionist is as superior".

"She is only four, she doesn't know what she's going to be when she grows up, let alone who she'll be" Karina snapped from where she lay on the ground. "Please be quiet. I'm trying to sleep".

Eder blinked. "We thought you were sleeping". Tai giggled and waved at Karina happily.

"I was, until you shouted about Melisse being the greatest. I was dreaming about cake". Karina glared at each of them in turn then yanked her blanket over her head.

Conrad shook his head then grabbed Melisse's hand. "You need to go to bed. You haven't slept all week". Melisse pouted and Conrad sighed. "If you don't sleep you won't be strong enough to go onstage when we get to New Ivy Haven". With a grunt, Melisse crab walked across the deck towards her bed, Conrad following after her slowly.

Dawn shook her head sadly. "But we don't know what it's like in New Ivy Haven. What if they don't let us practice our beliefs? What if we're not allowed to use our magic. That would kill Conrad and Melisse.

Eder pushed Tai into Dawn's arms. "They wouldn't dare. We'd show them Tai and they'd do anything for her". Dawn glanced down at Tai with a skeptical expression. "Go on, sing to her. Otherwise she won't fall asleep".

"You could tell her about the stars," Dawn muttered. Eder glared at her and she sighed. "Alright, I'll sing".

"The world that once was here
Has crumbled to piles of dust
The humans we once did fear
Have left as all eventually must

Toss your head and shake your paw
The lion is king and his word is law
Open your eyes and move your tail
The humans are gone now we prevail

The sky is bright and blue
The grass grows tall and green
As long as you are true
You are free to do as you mean

Toss your head and shake your paw
The lion is king and his word is law
Open your eyes and move your tail
The humans are gone now we prevail

I remember the world before
When the people wanted to stay
Always wanting more and more
Now they have gone far away

Toss your head and shake your paw
The lion is king and his word is law
Open your eyes and move your tail
The humans are gone now we prevail

The world that now is here
Is different now I hope and fear
Than the one that once was here
That world is gone but it's still near.

Toss your head and shake your paw
The lion is king and his word is law
Open your eyes and move your tail
The humans are gone now we prevail

Toss your head and shake your paw
The lion is king and his word is law
Close your eyes and move your tail
The humans are gone now we prevail"

When Dawn finished singing, both her and Tai were fast asleep. Eder smiled and wrapped a blanket around the two of them.

"You should go to sleep as well, you know" Karina grumbled and Eder turned to her.

"I thought you were asleep, I hope we didn't wake you".

Karina shook her head. "I was pretending that time". She glanced at Tai and sighed. "If that girl doesn't make it-".

"I know," Eder snapped. "I've talked to some friends who came here before us. They told me about a witch who could use magic to protect her".

Karina eyed him sadly. "I hope you're right about that. If she dies, I don't think Dawn could go on". She glanced over at Conrad and Melisse. "I don't think any of us could".