chapter fifty-eight

chapter fifty-eight | the greater good

THE DAY BEFORE, Laurel was constantly thinking about the events of the meeting. Rick hasn't told her a single thing that happened when he was in there with the Governor. She barely has even seen him, and when he was around, he was just walking away. Her conversation with Andrea was running through her mind as well. She meant every word and she knew Andrea did too.

Currently, Laurel sat in the Cafeteria with a few others, doing mindless chores. Ethan conversed with Michonne next to Laurel, Beth coddled Judith with Cassie, then Maggie and Carol were across the cafeteria having their own quiet conversation.

Laurel leaned forward on the table, resting her head in her hands, and closed her eyes. Pure exhaustion made her body feel so heavy. She could barely comprehend anything, didn't notice Michonne taking leave and Ethan spoke Laurel's name next to her.

Ethan touched her shoulder gently and she bolted upright. His eyes were wide in surprise when she turned her head toward him so fast that her neck cracked. "Sorry," she apologized quickly, wincing and rubbing her sore neck, "I was zoned out."

Ethan looked concerned, "you need to sleep," he said. His eyes gazed over her very, very dark under eyes, the paleness of her skin, and her sluggish demeanor. She immediately shook her head at his offer but he continued, "we will be okay, I'll take your watch."

"No, I'm fine, I just..." She trailed off. Her eyelids felt like the weight of two huge elephants and it was a fight to keep them open. Ethan stared at her as he waited for her to continue. Laurel's conversation with Andrea flashed in her mind and she sighed. "At the meeting, Andrea was there." She said, halting for a moment to see his reaction. His eyes hardened but no other reaction so she continued. "She asked me to talk to you. To tell you how sorry she is." His eyes adverted from her, and she watched him carefully. "From what I could tell, she is sorry. I know you guys grew close when we were apart, don't waste it. Who knows what will happen."

Things were still for a moment but then Ethan nodded. Still not looking at her he said, "I'm going with Michonne to clear some walkers, get some sleep."

She watched him get up and leave the cafeteria without another word. She sighed at the stubbornness trait that was genetic in her family. One hundred percent sure it comes from their mother's side.

An hour later, the Hill sisters stood next to each other behind the makeshift barricade, where Daryl and Laurel were hours earlier. Laurel ignored Ethan's wishes and took watch instead of resting. He asked Maggie if she could take Laurel's watch but she told her that she was fine, and needed some fresh air anyways and Maggie let her be with a comforting hug.

Cassie held up a pair of binoculars to her face that Maggie gave her, looking through them and around their home. Laurel had her arms crossed, the sleeves of her jacket pulled over her hands. Cassie was wearing a hoodie, a pair of loose jeans, and sneakers. All her clothes looked too big for her small size. She was just so young and tiny.