lady lazarus

───🕊───

───🕊───

To JULIANA MARSHALL, High Society was a bore. Ballroom dances and promenades in the park were lacking any actual worthwhile human interaction. Each conversation more boring and stiff than the last, frilly lace-covered words veiling actual intentions and emotions. High Society was a societal setback, an evolutionary fallacy and she wanted nothing to do with it.

When away from High Society, in the countryside of England, Juliana saw the real meaning of life. She watched as the working-class people (like her father once was) lived and died with purpose, instead of merely going through the motions that were set for them since birth.

Women married for love and others, although it was seen as unseemly, never married at all and were able to use their skills to provide for themselves. Juliana craved such a life, outside of the restraints of nobility, in the world of the people who made a name for themselves through abilities of their own, not because of their money or title.

But alas, she was a woman of what was now noble blood, forever ensnared by the duty to marry in order to survive. To society and the likes of "gentlemen", she was thought to be of no use except for breeding, like an abused farm animal.

Who's to say she wouldn't be slaughtered when she grew old and useless as well?

But Juliana was not one to shy away from a challenge, she will go out into the world unmarried and free of all the things that try to hold her back.

BENEDICT BRIDGERTON was never particularly fond of the misgivings of the ton. He was well-read on the ongoing issues of classism and societal prejudice. It didn't take a genius to realize that the world shouldn't have to be so difficult for those not born into wealth.

England was not particularly progressive on any stances, preferring to remain static in a kinetic world. High Society loved marriage and looked down upon unmarried women who made their own living. A woman actually providing for herself and creating her own happiness? Absolutely obscene!

The Bridgerton bunch were of a special kind. Raised with humility and kindness, they rejected some old traditions but still rejoiced in the extravagance and scandal of the ton nonetheless.

Benedict thought the parties and balls of the season were dreadful. He loathed having to go out with his brothers and their mother, anxiously waiting for her to intercede on his behalf whenever she found a Lady she believed he would find worthwhile.

He never did find them so.

Admittedly, Benedict was a bit of a flirt, not yet a rake, but a man who enjoyed the company of other men and women alike. If he were to take a wife, she would have to be extraordinary, for he was not so willing to give up such freedom. The beautiful thing about being the second son was he did not have to worry about such things, he could never marry if he wanted to, although his mother would grow to resent him, he would be free to do what and whom he pleased.