Chapter 24 | Rawhide Tavern

I parked in front of a hole in the wall, looking out my windshield

I parked in front of a hole in the wall, looking out my windshield. Half the sign illuminates in red letters showcasing 'Rawhide' while 'Tavern' letters have no illumination.

What the heck did the Hawks send me?

A fresh coat of paint and a new business sign would do this place some justice.

I stepped out of my van, seeing a drunk woman wearing a pink and green fishnet dress come my way. She wrapped her arms around some man trying to squeeze by me as they almost knocked me over.

"Hey?" I complained, but they didn't pay me any mind. I take another glance at her attire, seeing her cheeks hanging out. Does she not feel the cold? I cringed. I took an uneasy breath, understanding what kind of place this was, and I followed behind them.

Time to put on the tough-woman attitude. I walked inside as the breeze found its way inside the pub, mixing with the warmth of this place.

A song called 'jukebox junkie' plays in the distance. The further I walked in, the louder it got. I moved along squeaky wood floors and saw wanted posters of supposed wolf people on a sawdust wood board. One catches my eye of a girl; I can't pinpoint her features because the paper is in black and white. But I feel like I've seen her before.

I wandered further, and the bar, crawling with men in hunting gear and half-dressed women giving touches here and there. I scrunch my nose, irritated with the smell of cigarette smoke blanketing the area, mixed with liquor and vomit.

What a sight to see, but which hunter do I need to get? I glanced around. I walk through a crowd of people, searching for someone who may fit the part.

"Hey, sexy, what you getting into tonight?" A man grabbed me around my waist, pulling me in. I gagged from his funky cologne.

"On a trip." I let out, crunching my nose.

"Oh, can I join," his tabasco breath invaded my nose as he squeezed me tighter.

"Nuh-uh, It's to fly away from your breath." I wiggled out of his grip, tossing his hand from me. I jittered my body, disgusted, from his possible dirty hands.

I head to the bar, "Excuse me," I get the bartender's attention.

"How can I help you, beautiful lady?" He pours up shots for the guys next to me.

"I'm looking for wolf hunters," I informed.

He hesitated, glancing around cautiously. "Well, sweetheart, you're in the right place. It's full of them, but best to keep it down. You don't know who's listening." he pointed to the corner. "If you walk on over there where those fine gentlemen are, they'll help you out." He said in his country twang.

I rhythmically tapped the bar. "Thanks!" I let out, and he nodded. I approached four guys, laughing, drinking 'fish water double.'

"Um, excuse me, I was wondering," I let out, but they cut me off with laughter.