chapter 1

Droplets of sweat rolled down her face as she assumed a fighting stance, teeth clenched. Chapa guided her focus to the black punching bag in front of her, before pounding her fists into it once again. Every hit became weaker until the punches finally ceased. Breathless, Chapa closed her eyes and leaned against the punching bag unable to shake off her last memories of her brother, Justin.

*Flashback* ------------------

"I'm going to be back soon little sis." Justin smiled at the small girl in front of him.

"Are you sure you have to go?" Chapa looked into her older brother's eyes hoping he would stay.

"As much as I would love to stay home with you, I have to go to my interview in Maine. But just think, maybe we would be able to move out of this apartment if I get the job." he picked up the duffle bag that was laying on the floor next to his feet.

"I'm sure you'll do great." she watched as he unlocked and opened the front door.

"Thanks for the support!" he gave her a quick hug before stepping out and climbing down the steps of the front porch, "Remember, No boys are allowed to come over, my number is hanging on the fridge if you need me, and make sure you wake up for school!"

"I know," she rolled her eyes.

"I'll see you Friday!" he opened the car door and climbed in tossing his bag to the backseat. He inserted the keys into the ignition, turned them to the right, and started the engine. He looked back up at her once more before driving off.

*Flashback End* ---------------

Ray, who was watching from the doorway, walked over to Chapa holding out a bottle of water to her, "Let's talk for a minute?"

Chapa raised her head up from the punching bag, happily taking the water from him, "Sure," she said, unscrewing the cap off of the bottle.

"Schwoz called," he spoke calmly, "he needs you in the lab so we can test some things with your powers. So start cleaning up so we can head out."

Chapa nodded placing the water bottle down onto the bench beside her. She began unlatching the Velcro on her gloves.

"Also," Ray continued, he leaned against the wall keeping his eyes on her, "I feel you should quit training for the week and rest for a bit."

Chapa only responded with a glare.

"I'm serious, Chapa. This isn't something I'm going to shrug off like all the other times." he held a stern tone as he spoke, "You're overworking yourself, let yourself breathe for a moment."

"I think I would know if I was pushing myself too much," she shoved the water bottle into her backpack zipping the bag closed, "I know how I'm feeling and I feel fine enough to continue training." she grabbed the bag placing the strap over her shoulder.

"It's obvious that isn't true-" Ray began, but Chapa ignored him. She moved past Ray, opening the locker room door, and shutting it behind her.

Ray sighed, staring at the closed door.

•••

The first thing Chapa noticed when she reentered the training room was that it was cleaned up. The punching bag was a slightly darker black from being wiped down, and the floor was glistening from being mopped. Chapa didn't exactly know how long she had been showering for as she got lost in her own thoughts, but by her pruned fingertips it told her it might have been a while.

Standing near the corner of the room was Ray. He was reading something on his phone, but the sound of Chapa opening the door alerted him away from it.

Ray placed his phone in his back pocket and leaned the mop against the wall, "Are you ready?"