Chapter 2

"The others... you've noticed, haven't you?"

  He doesn't know if it would've been better if he didn't know what the Animatronic was referring to, but right now he was left very aware of the implications. Of the weight behind that question.

The elevator's happy chime as the metal doors opened brought him back from the buzzing of his mind, stepping out into the main atrium.

The massive room was silent compared to business hours as the mall crept closer to lockdown, save for the soft whirring of the security bots wheels against the tiled floors. They had tidied the tables, the laughter of children noticeably absent, the stage absent of the giant hologram mascots of him and the others that appear during showtime.

He hated it. It felt so cold in comparison, left purposeless, wandering the same facility he had practically memorized every inch of for the past 25 years. Every rusty pipe, every garish floor pattern, every broken light that the staff can't reach and every piece of confetti printed onto the disposable tablecloths.

Because of this, he was hyperaware of the rustling and clattering as he wandered around the food stands scattered across the atriums bottom floor, not a part of the usual buzz of the plex after hours. Slowing his steps as His senses get noticeably heightened, Bonnie questioned if it was the lost kid. A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth, thinking about how surprised Vanessa would be once she saw he had found the kid first, recalling her clear discontent and mistrust towards him before. No more treating him like a lazy joke.

Bonnie reflexively hunched himself over as he continued to sneak closer, ears rotating and straightening as they focused in on the source of the sound. Creeping past the food stands,

Bonnie pressed himself further against the closest wall, peaking around the corner to be met with a void. The lights directly above the source of the noise had died, leaving only the silhouette visible.

Loud crunching and ripping sounded from the middle of the darkness, causing him to pause in a steadily worsening state of confusion as he took a moment to consider his next approach. Should he wait until they're within arm's reach to announce his presence? To give them less of a chance to run? No. He wanted them to trust him. And appearing too close might scare them more than it would help the situation, even if it gave them more of a chance to run.

Bonnie peeled himself away from the wall, carefully approaching as he uncurled his back, straightening his posture. Once he had reached only a few steps into the shadow, barely within the lights range, he felt his foot collide with something with a thunk. He felt his joints almost immediately lock up, gaze focused in on the shadow, trying to see if they had heard it. When the crunching and tearing hadn't ceased, bonnie shifted his gaze down to be met with a mass of bent and broken green plastic. Upon closer inspection, it resembled one of the themed trash cans scattered around the Pizzaplex, more specifically a Monty themed lid. Or, at least, what's left of one.

A trash can lid... a trash can lid? Why would the missing kid be going through the trash? Not to mention how it disfigured it to such a degree. The bunny turned his attention back up to the figure and spoke in the friendliest voice he could muster.

"Hey, little buddy,-"

They froze.

"It's rather late, ain't it, friend? Where's your chaperone? Everyone else already left. You could... get.... hurt-," Bonnie's words died in his voice box, the figure's head turning around to reveal two glowing, violet eyes, cutting through the shadows.

'That's not a kid, is it?'