Prologue

I was in the mountains when it happened. I watched, overlooking the town, as the storm clouds approached. The clouds had an unnatural hue to them I had noted. A thunderous sound echoed as I saw flashes of lightning striking within them. Then came a rainfall unlike any I had seen before.

It was heavy and dark as it slammed against rooftops and pavement and people. I didn't know it then, but this single wave of unruly weather was one of a dark background. It had been carrying an infectious virus, spreading across the people below.

I watched on as chaos insued, yet I stayed above it all confused. Ringing, a sudden call, snapping me from my mind-induced haze. My brother had been the one calling and I brought my phone up to my ear hastily. "Edric! What's going on?" My voice had raised in panic.

"Amity! Where are you? I'm driving around right now and people are going crazy!" I heard him shout. There was a distant sound on his end; heavy rain hitting down on his car, multiple screams, and the sound of him punching down on the gas pedal.

"I'm at the overlook. What is happening Edric? It looks like a warzone from up here." I said as my eyes analyzed the disorganized and lawless nature of the town below. I heard the sudden slamming of the brakes as Edric cursed on the other end of the line. I asked him if he was okay in worry and my heart dropped as I heard a screeching of tires.

"Amity, I'm coming to get you right now! Just stay where you are and keep away from other people." I listened as he breathed heavily and slammed his hands down hard against the car in anger. "I don't know what's happening but I'm going to call mom and dad. Just be careful and I'll be there soon okay?" There was a short pause on the other end.

"I love you okay?" His voice spoke softly, yet seriously. Edric was never one to take life seriously. He'd always preferred joking over anything else. The fact that he was acting like this made me worry, but it also let me know that whatever was going on down there was severe.

"I love you too Edric. Stay safe please." I'd been able to whisper before the line cut off going dead.

This was the beginning, the start of it all, the day everything changed for the worst. When some of us turned into monsters while the rest of us had to learn to survive by running from them. When I lost every sense of normalcy. And my life was never the same.