Chapter Fifteen

It had been almost two weeks since I had last seen Luz. Everything was different now. The way I operated, the way I held myself, was entirely different. No longer would I be weak. I saw the world through different, survival-rooted, eyes.

Determination fueled me instead of the blind hope I had previously pushed myself on. My mission to find my family had been the only thing on my mind. When my attention drifted I just simply thought of my past and I'd run on my rage. It got me further faster than anything else before. There were no distractions to slow me down from completing my goal.

It made me wonder if this is how Luz had done things before she met me. She mentioned how she operated critically and without emotions. Now that I had been doing much the same I'm starting to believe that she was right. Maybe I had been the one who was holding us back. My influence on Luz only managed to help double down on the amount of lost time as well as the risk upon us. The time I had wasted almost got me carelessly killed.

None of that mattered though as I stood before the trail that led to my family's lodge. What I saw caused my heart to drop. It looked nothing like it did in my memories. The structure looked fragmented and run-down. Bullets riddled the side of the building. This had been something I'd noticed as I approached closer.

Making it to the end of the trail I saw some bodies of the dead scattered about the front yard. The sight made me fall to my knees a few feet before the front porch steps. My body began to shake violently from tears. I had begun to break down again, my mind shutting down as dark and intrusive thoughts took up what open space had been left. I could only assume, only fear, the worst until I knew for sure what had happened here.

No, no I have come too far to just give up! They had to of made it out! I stood up instantly, letting myself fall back into new habits whilst disregarding old ones. Emotions would do me no good unless it was rage, something that fueled me instead of debilitating me. I took the old, creaking wooden steps up and upon reaching the door, brought my hand up to push the door open fully.

The door opened up, hitting the wall as my eyes analyzed the surrounding area. There were traces of them being here, yet they seemed to have abandoned it. But they wouldn't just leave without a clue, right? They would have left something for me to find. Something only I could see or know so they wouldn't give away their plan to any random survivor who discovered this place. Emira, Edric, Dad, or Mom would have found some way to tell me regardless of whether they believed I was alive or not.

Though they weren't here now, they had been, which meant they were safe. All I had to do now was get to them. So I took a moment and closed my eyes trying to think of someplace, some secret, some way they could have found to tell me where they were headed. Looking around I tried to jog my memory as I took in the chaos that was left behind.

Either I wasn't the only one looking for where they might have gone or my family really made a mess of this place. The mess; draws thrown to the ground, cupboards left wide open, stuff tossed and discarded to the floor, had only seemed to scream clutter more than a hint. The result of desperate actions, regardless of who had caused it, wasn't helping me much.

Think Blight, what is something only you would know? I tried to push myself to find the answer as my current mindless search only came up inconclusive. Then it came to me, a memory of Emira and me. And suddenly, I knew exactly where to look. I stumbled over objects and pushed past obstructions as I made my way to Emira's room. Upon entering I found it in the same condition as the rest of the lodge.

Though this didn't concern me as I made my way to the corner of the room and lifted the rug. I laid my hands flat on the wooden floor until my fingers came across the loose floorboard I had been looking for. Lifting it up I saw a box, taking it out I lifted the lid immediately. Inside lay two folded pieces of paper.