thirteen

• Mae •

Mae didn't know if she had ever felt more awkward in her life. It's not everyday that your kinda friend, kinda situationships brother reaches out and invites you to family dinner. She wasn't sure exactly why she said yes, but the longer that she sat alone in the dining room, the more she began to overthink her reasoning behind coming.

MaryLou sat down next to her after a few moments, lessening the girls anxiety. "He's stubborn, and he doesn't like his brothers meddling in his stuff. Give him a second."

She heard footsteps come down the stairs, and before she knew it, Chris was in the dining room, clearly having just been shoved or something. He didn't notice her at first, his eyes going to his mothers first, but then he saw her and his face lit up.

"Mae?" He seemed shocked, in a good way she hoped.

"Surprise!" She stood up to go give him a hug, which he happily returned.

"How are you here? You live in Lowell?"

"We ride the same train, dumbass. I can get off at different stops." He smiled again, walking with her to the table to take a seat.

His brothers came in a second later, very proud of themselves for pulling this off. She was surprised that it worked too, but she was glad it did.

Halfway through dinner, while Mae was talking to Matt, she felt a hand on hers under the table. She interlocked their fingers, continuing the conversation, knowing that Chris would be embarrassed if his family saw him acting all lovey-dovey. His thumb ran circles over the back of her hand, and she could feel electricity pricking at her skin in the ghost of the path. She was sure she was blushing, but no one said anything about it. MaryLou did give her a look, which she assumed meant that she knew what was going on.

Mae's hand felt way too cold when Chris removed his hand, needing it to eat as he was having trouble with his left hand. He finished his food quickly, and grabbed hers again once he was done.

Mae tried to offer to help with the dishes, but MaryLou wasn't having it. She insisted that Mae go and hang out with Chris, which in complete opposite to her dads home, meant his room. They were required have to keep the door open, though.

She sat at the edge of his bed, taking in the room around her. The amount of Lyrical Lemonade items surprised her, he'd mentioned it but she had always assumed he was over exaggerating. What does he need so many rugs for?

"It's cozy in here, and very, lemony..." She trailed off, not sure if that was the right way to describe the room. She was relieved when he laughed at her joke.

"Oh yeah, huge fan of lemons." He took a seat next to her, slightly bouncing up and down as he sat down. "I'm glad you're here, Mae."

"Me too." She smiled softly, internally hoping that he would kiss her. He leaned in slightly, and she was grateful that she hadn't misread the energy.

"Nope! Not in this household!" Nick walked in, very rudely interrupting their moment. After talking with Nick a bit, she figured he did it on purpose.

Mae subconsciously put a little more distance between her and Chris, not wanting someone else to walk in and assume anything.

"No! What did I miss?" Matt came running in from behind Nick, obviously he had been eavesdropping from the kitchen.

"They were about to kiss!" Nick's words were sharp with amusement, clearly enjoying the awkward tension that he had created.

"Not in this household!" Nick punched him.

"That's my line! I literally just said it! Now it's ruined!"

The boys continued to argue about who was supposed to say the line, which Mae giggled at, glancing at her phone that had buzzed in her lap. It was on Do Not Disturb, so it was either one of her parents, or Cass.

Mom: Remember I need you home by 9 please :)

"Shit! I'm sorry, I need to go home." Mae stood up, grabbing her jacket from the desk chair.

"I'll walk you to the door." Chris mumbled, then he pushed his brothers out of the way so that they could make their way to the front door. Nick looked at her in shock when she walked by, but she couldn't figure out what had happened in the last 30 seconds that would make him react that way.

Her jacket hung on the coat rack in the front room, she noticed it immediately, remembering Nick putting it there when she arrived. She looked down at the jacket she was wearing, and realized that it was Chris' lacrosse jacket that had been left in her possession twice now.

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was mine." She moved to unzip it, but was stopped by Chris' hand on her shoulder.

"Keep it. It's looks better on you, anyways." Her face flushed and she smiled, going up on her tippy toes to place a quick kiss on his lips.

"Thanks! See you Friday?"

"See you Friday." He assured, and then she walked out the door, smiling the whole walk down to the train station.