extra

* I'd like to preface this chapter by saying that I know very little about lacrosse, so if something is  kinda off that's why *

• Mae •

Mae wrapped her arms around herself in a poor attempt to stay warm in the early March air. The cold bleachers did nothing to help her. She'd left her sweatshirt in the back of Matt's minivan, and given that him and Chris were currently warming up on the field, she had no chance of getting the keys.

"Are you cold?" Sienna asked from next to her, also shivering but much less severely than her friend.

Mae looked up at the gray sky lines with dark clouds. "Yeah, I forgot my sweatshirt."

Sienna moved next to her, looking through the bag that she had brought before pulling out another hoodie. "It's Matt's, but it just says Sturniolo so you can say it's Chris'." She laughed as she handed it over.

Mae wasted no time in pulling the hoodie over her head, sighing contently when her arms were finally free from the wind. "Thank you."

She looked at the sky again, which was only growing darker as time went on. "Do you think it's going to rain?"

Sienna nodded, typing something out on her phone before meeting her eyes again. "I'd be surprised if it didn't. The weather app says it's gonna storm, so the game might get postponed."

Mae sighed, looking across the field for Chris. When she couldn't find him, she picked up her phone, checking to see if he had texted her.

Chris <3: come down to the locker room door

"I'll be right back." She stood up and made her way behind the bleachers and to the door that the team comes out of right before the game, seeing Chris standing there waiting for her. "Hey, Chris." She smiled as she walked up to her boyfriend.

He smiled back at her, giving her a small kiss before he pulled a shirt out from behind his back, then double taking as he noticed her sweatshirt. "Is that Matt's?"

"Sienna gave it to me. How did you know?"

"Mae, there's a big #4 on the arm. I'm #3." She blushed, not having noticed the number when she put it on. "Give me one sec."

He disappeared into the locker room, and when he returned he was holding another sweatshirt, along with the shirt from before. "Here, now you can be decked out my my stuff."

"What's the shirt?"

"My jersey, obviously. Gotta rep' your boyfriend." She smiled up at him, taking both items from his hands. "You don't have to wear it, but I thought you might like to." He scratched the back of his neck, clearly not used to having someone in the crowd for him.

"I'd love to wear it. You should probably get back to warmups, though." He smiled, kissing her again, before he ran back around the bleachers and onto the field.

Mae quickly took off Matt's sweatshirt, folding it nicely, and putting on the sweatshirt and jersey. She made her way back onto the bleachers to Sienna, who immediately took notice of the change in her outfit. She handed Matt's sweatshirt back to her friend as she sat down.

"Did Chris give you his jersey?"

"No, I stole it out of the locker room." She rolled her eyes as she spoke.

"Matt doesn't give me his jersey, I should talk to him about that." The girls both laugh as the buzzer goes off, indicating that warmups are over and the game is about to start.

The bleachers were a lot less empty now, mostly with people that Mae has never seen before. She gets some weird looks as people pass, mostly confused about who she was as she didn't go to their school. Sienna told her that most people knew that Chris had a girlfriend from another school, and she'd met one or two people when they went to the winter formal together, but most people didn't recognize her.

They watch as the starting line up gets announced, cheering loud when Chris and Matt run out onto the field. As the game starts, she watches when Chris gets the ball, passing it to his teammate and running up the field.

It starts raining not long after the game begins, a steady downpour, but no thunder or lightning so the game continues. Once the first raindrop landed on the pair, Sienna pulled an umbrella out of her bag, and the two huddled underneath it to try and not get too wet.

Mae leaned over to Sienna after a little bit, whispering to her friend. "Do you know what's going on? I just realized I have no clue how lacrosse works."

Sienna laughs a little, leaning in closer as Mae had done. "Not really. You pick up some stuff by watching, but I don't know the rules or anything." Mae smiled, looking back out at the field.

As the game goes on, both teams play pretty well, or at least Mae thinks they do. It's an even game, with the score never becoming too lopsided. She watches as the time ticks down in the fourth quarter, with the score being tied at 12-12. She sees Sienna leaning forward, willing the team to score just one more goal before time runs out.

"They just need one more to win. There's not a lot of time left." Sienna whispers, probably more to herself than to Mae.

Mae's eyes lock on Chris, who's standing on the sidelines, waiting to sub in. He turns and meets her eyes, sending her a wink, then he pulls his helmet on and runs onto the field. She watches intently as he runs up the field, bumping his teammate that he's subbing in for on his way in, then joins the game.

The timer reads 15 seconds, plenty on time to score, and then the ball is flying across the field into the net of Chris' stick. Her eyes grow wide as he fakes out a defender from the other team, then lets it fly, hitting the back of the net. The crowd around them screams as Sienna and Mae jump up and hug each other.

The teams reset in the center of the field, but with less than 10 seconds to go, the chances of the other team evening the score again is small. The game starts up again, but it's over before they can get the ball in the defensive end, the buzzer sounding once again as the crowd cheers and begins the make their way down off of the bleachers to wait for the team.

It's a few minutes before they make their way off the field, but when they finally come off, high-fiving people as the pass, Chris beelines it for Mae, pulling her in for a hug.

"Ew, you're all gross." She laughs as she speaks, hugging him back. "That was amazing. You were amazing."

"I'll shower I swear. But thank you, for coming and everything. I know you don't really know anything about lacrosse."

"I know enough to know that you scored the game winner, and that's big." He wrapped his arm around her, leading her off the where Sienna and Matt went.

"If that's all you know, I'll be happy." He smiled down at her. "Oh, I'm gonna need that jersey back at some point 'cause our next game is away. I'll give you this one if you want to come."

"I wouldn't miss it. Just like, please wash it." She gestured to the jersey that he currently wore, and he laughed as they finally approached Matt and Sienna, who was probably telling Matt off for not giving her a jersey.

"I'd never give you a dirty jersey to wear, don't worry."

Mae slipped her hand into his as their group began walking away from the field, toward the parking lot. The rain had cleared up a bit, now just a light sprinkle, and in the distance she could see a rainbow forming on the skyline.

{ note: okay hi! long time no see for
mae and chris. i missed writing
about them and i thought of this a while
ago just never wrote it, but i finally did! i
hope you guys liked it, i might do more of these
if i get the right inspiration. but i hope
you enjoyed and i appreciate each and every
one of you for reading my stuff, it genuinely
means so much. love you all so so much <333 }

🎉 You've finished reading 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚎 • 𝚌𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚘𝚕𝚘 🎉