Chapter 36 - A Day for the Lord

He rose from bed at his normal pre-dawn hour. He moved slowly, anticipating that his illness may have worsened over night, when in fact he felt better for not having the deadening chill in his bones. A hot bath the prior evening had likely helped warm his core so that his body could right itself while he slept. His head was stuffed and he felt the cough deep in his chest, but it was nothing he could not work above. He readied himself in one of his black suits, but chose a burgundy silk waistcoat as it was Sunday and not a day of work.

It was not yet six o'clock in the morning when John joined his mother in the dining room for breakfast. She had waited for him to join her before she was served. The Thorntons were creatures of habit when it came to breakfast. Unlike many well to do families that served an over abundance of meats, breads, eggs and pies on a side board for leisurely consumption, the Thorntons were brought coffee, two soft boiled eggs each and toast with butter. If there was fruit available, Mrs. Thornton might enjoy and orange sliced up on her plate. John would take one with him to his office at the mill which he would peel and eat later in the morning.

The great hall clock could be heard ticking after John settled in his seat and prepared his coffee. Mrs. Thornton was anxious to hear of John's trip to London and the news he wanted to share. She waited patiently for a few moments, but then decided to open the conversation.

"So is it settled with the property? Have you purchased the mill?" She asked as she scraped butter across her toast. John did not look up as he intently stirred his coffee.

"I have not. The property was not for sale." He said matter of fact. Mrs, Thornton harrumphed in frustration. "I thought the lawyer thought it would sell?"

John thought for a moment. His mother was clearly trying to discover his news and it was best not to delay it any longer. "I spoke very little to the lawyer, as I had the great surprise of meeting Miss Hale while in London."

"Miss Hale? How can that be? I thought she had run off to France."

"It was Spain." John corrected Mrs. Thornton.

"No difference. The fact is that she went and ran off, John. Ashamed of her behavior I'm sure."

"It was not like that, Mother. I can assure you."

Mrs. Thornton scoffed at the thought that Miss Hale had once again thwarted John's request. "So she turned you down. Right to your face? What, our money is not good enough for her."

"Mother, please."

"Well you know I'm right. She was always so proud a girl. Thought she was such a lady and above all the rest of us."

"Please, Mother, I must tell you." John paused, not sure how to say it, so he simple said it. "Miss Hale and I are engaged."

Mrs. Thornton looked at him in utter disbelief. Her mouth hung slightly open, trying to form the words that she was thinking. "Engaged? Engaged to be married? How can this be? You haven't seen the girl in ten years! "

"Eight. it's been eight years, Mother."

"No matter. A man doesn't go to London for a fortnight and come back engaged to be married! Without a word to me. John? "

The occasion of John Thornton disappointing Hannah Thornton was a rare one, indeed. He struggled to find a way to calm his mother and her angry words. " You knew all along my feelings for Miss Hale." He gently reminded her. "I have had the great fortune of discovering that her feeling are the same as my own. I wish you to be happy for me. For us." Mrs. Thornton pushed back in her chair and held tightly to the tables edge. She wanted to stand but found that she had no strength. John saw her physical weakness and regretted the emotional turn the conversation had taken.