Chapter One

In celebration of The Queen reaching 1 million reads, I've decided to upload chapter one for you guys! Thank you again for supporting me on my writing journey and here's to hopefully, an amazing final book :)

Rae 'Rae x

________________________________________________________________________________

The royals from Dranthoven and the royals from Selestris, each in their respective cars, sat in silence as their journey continued to get underway. None of them knew what to say because they didn't really know the full extent of the situation that they were heading into. The letter explained enough but it was still vague. Their assistance was needed immediately, but they didn't really know why and if they were honest, they were scared to find out,

"Why are we doing this?" Audrey asked, breaking silence that had fallen between them. Clara sighed and looked out the window at the passing scenery before she looked back at her wife,

"Because they're our friends and allies. They've asked for our assistance, and we must give it to them. We want to give it to them."

Audrey removed her crown from her head and ran a hand through her hair before putting it back on again,

"If it was just the two of us, I wouldn't be so weary about it, but we have Athena to think about as well. Are we wrong for choosing this alliance over our own daughter?"

Clara shook her head, "We're not choosing it over her. By us choosing the alliance, we're ultimately saving her. If we ignore this and it escalates, it's going to come to our doorstep whether we like it or not, so by offering our help now, we can prevent it from going any further than it needs to."

The vampire Queen closed her eyes and leant her head back on the headrest, thinking about what they were driving towards. She knew in her non-existent heart that she had no choice but to respond to the letter they received and offer her assistance, even if it meant going in blind.

She felt a hand on her shoulder she opened her eyes to face her wife, "We'll be fine. We have each other and they still don't know what I am, so we can use that to our advantage if need be."

"That will be a last resort." She responded, "We can't afford to have you exposed to the world like that."

"If me exposing my identity to everyone means that I can save you and Athena, I won't hesitate. Let's just hope it won't ever come to that."

Audrey nodded in agreement and Clara slipped her hand into the vampires, providing the little comfort they needed in the big storm they were about to enter.

In a separate car not too far behind them, sat Brooklyn and Laylah. Brooklyn was staring outside the window, more than likely surveying her surroundings like she always did, and Laylah stared ahead, thinking through what their next steps were going to be once they arrived in Equanoras. It was hard to even think about since they didn't even know what they were going into,

"There's still time to turn back. I can feel the wheels turning in your head and if you have any doubts about this, tell me now."

Laylah turned to face Brooklyn, who was now looking directly at her, "We can't turn back."

"Don't tell me that we can't. Do you want to turn back?"

The Lattamer stayed silent for a few seconds before shaking her head, "No. They took us into their home when we needed help, we can't turn our back on them when they need ours. It's not who we are and it's not the image we want to portray of Selestris."

Brooklyn gave her a single nod, "Just wanted to make sure. I don't want you to regret anything. We don't know what we're driving into, so you need to be absolutely certain of the decision we've come to make."