PROLOGUE

Growing up in a prestigious family in London's high society was daunting for anyone, but little Lady Louise Peters always felt out of place

Growing up in a prestigious family in London's high society was daunting for anyone, but little Lady Louise Peters always felt out of place. Her older sister Evelyn shone like a diamond and relished in the spotlight placed on her from a young age. Whilst her younger sisters were praised for their beauty and poise as young ladies, ready to fully blossom in society. Louise struggled with many things, she struggled with her table manners and keeping her posture straight, but most of all, she struggled in the spotlight of her sisters.

Evelyn was like a child sent from the heavens, she could do no wrong. She never mis-stepped or spoke unless spoken too and had a substantial list of hobbies and talents that men and mamas search for on the marriage mart, not limited to her perfect piano-forte or exquisite French. Evelyn took up most of the attention from Louise's parents, until her younger siblings were born, thus fully allowing Louise to fade into the background. Evelyn thrived in tight corset gowns and socialising at large balls and functions, successfully securing multiple proposals from societies finest in her first season. She floated in similar circles to the Cressida Cowper's of society, in silent jealousy and judgement of her peers, in particular her younger sister. Evelyn could never understand why an accomplished young women like Louise would not want to marry, particularly when she was nurtured and the mirror image of one's self. Evelyn always struggled with the envy she felt for Louise, whilst she adored the spotlight, she couldn't understand how Louise was able to blend so effortlessly and neglect her duties towards her family by not marrying, why could Louise do that but Evelyn couldn't? It needn't be said that Louise and Evelyn had a-rough relationship with one another, neither willing to give up their pride and learn about each other.

 Evelyn always struggled with the envy she felt for Louise, whilst she adored the spotlight, she couldn't understand how Louise was able to blend so effortlessly and neglect her duties towards her family by not marrying, why could Louise do that b...

Louise struggled in the beginning with being disregarded by her parents, it wasn't that they intentionally favoured their other children over her, it was more that Louise was just forgotten, plain and above all ordinary. In order to distract herself from her own loneliness, Louise studied for hours a day with her governess, she read and she wrote and did everything in her power to impress her parents and siblings, often crafting up plays, with music and roles for each family member, or learning a new skill like cooking, cleaning, horseback riding and hunting, things typically reserved for maids, men and their heirs, all while still having subpar pianoforte and needlework. When her family did pay attention to her, they struggled, as they barely recognised her, or rather who they wanted her to be. From a young age, Louise retreated into novels of varying opinions and topics, overtime discussing with herself out loud how she felt about a certain thought or characters action. Her favourite novel was Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, having read it over 25 times, she was a fool for a cliche love story, hoping the one day if she met the right person their story would feel the same.

Alice, Bethany and Florence often took pity on their older sister Louise, each having their own small and special bonding experience with her. Alice Peters, a blossoming young lady who was quickly taking after Evelyn in grace and beauty was the friendliest with otherwise lonesome Louise. Their strong bond forged in the depths of night when storms raged against the window. Alice found nothing better than having her strong big sister on these occasions, a person to crawl into a bed with. These nights and scary storms quickly passing when Alice would feel the nimble arms of Louise tighten around her body and the deep inhale of breath felt on the back of Alice's neck, signifying that she wasn't alone. Bethany could recall Louise helping her with her reading and writing from a young age. Bethany often recalls missing discipline from their governess due to the help provided by her older sister directly before entering the class room, when she would set aside meals or sleep so she could learn the meaning of a word in a school assignment. Florence, possibly the most similar to Louise often attempted to follow in her older sisters footsteps, literally when she was a child and figuratively as she grew into a young women. Florence, the more outspoken sister would ramble on for hours during the dead of night to Louise about her newest infatuation or vendetta, the latest gossip and opinions. The three youngest sisters always felt a stronger bond and connection to Louise, each finding a small pocket of peace in their relationships.

Coming from one of the most influential and well respected families of the ton, Anthony Bridgerton had what you could only describe as a wonderful childhood

Coming from one of the most influential and well respected families of the ton, Anthony Bridgerton had what you could only describe as a wonderful childhood. As on of 8 siblings, named in alphabetical order from A through H, he adored his childhood. His parents were 18 and 20 respectfully when he was born, however always provided him with the most precious memories. Like any child Anthony struggled with sharing, in particular his father's attention. Edmund Bridgerton was Anthony's entire world, he always made sure to make time for him, taking him hunting or on walks, having to include the younger Bridgerton's as the family continued to expand. When Anthony was 18, just shy of his first semester at Oxford, his entire world came crashing down, his father passed away. A catalyst in Anthony's life, thus creating an unruly hatred towards love, effectively vowing to never marry a women he could love, he would not put his family through what he experienced with his father.

And so our story begins...

_______________
A/N - please let me know if you liked it, i a going to try and post regularly ;)