Chapter 11

"Right now its you that too comfortable master Gimli."

King Théoden was walking quickly through the streets of Helms Deep with Aragorn beside him. As soon as the other three, Gimli, Legolas and y/n, had spotted them, they started following as well. There was a guard trailing them close behind.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall." ordered the king to the guard before he was dismissed and started walking off to make preparations. Y/n felt a cold chill run down her spine at the realization that the battle she had been mentally dreading was now actually happening. She would be in an actual war, with armies, swords and shields. Would she be made to wear armor as well? She shuddered but tried to focus on the words of the people around her. The group stopped and stood before the main gate.

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg!" explained Théoden his plan.

Gimli leaned against the gate bored before speaking up himself.

"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs." he warned. Théoden looked to Gimli seemingly surprised that he had spoken.

"These are Uruk-Hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad. explained he further.

Théoden stood tall before Gimli, which wasn't a hard thing to do at all. He looked past his nose in a condescending manner when he spoke.

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own Keep."

The king started walking again, Aragorn and Legolas followed suit while the dwarf hesitated, y/n with him. When they caught up again, they were walking across the battlements looking over the vast plains.

"They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Sarumans hordes will pillage and burn. Weve seen it before. Crops can be resown; homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them."

Aragorn stood close to the king before speaking.

"They do not come to destroy Rohans crops or villages. They come to destroy its people ... down to the last child." he warned, his voice slightly threatening.

The kings head snapped to the Ranger and he got close to his face speaking in an agitated but quiet tone.

"What would you have me do? Look at my Men. Their courage hangs by a thread."

Aragorn bashfully looked away and Théoden continued.

"If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance."

The king turned to walk away but Aragorn called after him, pleading with him.

"Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid." he begged.

Again, Théoden walked close to Aragorn.

"And who will come? Elves? Dwarves?" he said, his tone mocking, patronizing. "We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead." Théoden help no hope for help. In his mind the battle that had not yet began was already lost.

"Gondor will answer." conviction was in the Rangers voice but it only rose answer in the king.

"Gondor?! Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?! Where was Gon--?" Théoden stopped his own outburst and recollected himself before continuing in a quieter calmer tone of voice. "No, my Lord Aragorn...we are alone."

Again, the king walked off, this time he wasnt stopped. Aragorn somberly nodded, watching him leave. As Théoden walked up the steps the guard appeared again and immediately received new orders.