Chapter 1

The sky was like a gray sea. Colorless and depressing, as if it might rain. A woman leaned on a telephone pole, her arms crossed and one foot propped up against the wood beam as if to support herself. The baseball hat she wore sported the words Crystal River Otters on the front under the logo of the animal. The woman yawned.

Riley took her phone out of her black hoodie pocket, checking the time.

4:32 P.M.

She groaned, turning her attention to the highway. The road wasn't as busy as it was most days, but vehicles zoomed on it leaving a VEROM sound followed by a WOOSH.

Riley sighed. She moved her brown hair behind her ear and pushed herself off the telephone pole with her foot. A gentle breeze blew into her face. She put her earbuds in and pressed play on a song. A notification popped up on her screen.

Dad:
Hey kid, checking in on ya. What ya doing?

Riley unlocked her phone and texted back.

Me:
Going to the house.

She sent it and made her way to her blue car. Taking out her keys, Riley unlocked it and got in the driver's seat. Taking out her earbuds, she shut her phone off and set it in the cupholder. Here we go... Please work this time. She turned the key in the ignition and the engine started.

"Thank the Lord," the young woman breathed. Riley put her seatbelt on and pulled out of the parking lot. After looking both ways, she made a right turn and headed out of town. Driving past familiar trees and signs, she eventually pulled into a driveway, parked the car, unbuckled her seatbelt, got her things, and got out.

Riley walked to the front door and went inside her house. The place was just like she left it - a train wreck. "I should clean this place up..." She looked at her hand, her skin almost pure white. She rolled her eyes and started to pick up the garbage.

It wasn't really messy, it was mostly clothes strewn across the floor. Along with candy wrappers and dirty dishes... Riley facepalmed so hard she felt the stinging of it for about 10 seconds. "Come on, Ri..." she scolded herself. A bark sounded in a distant room and a black and tan german shepherd and a calico cat soon came into the living room.

Riley kneeled down and playfully shook the dog's head. "Hello, Charlie. What have you been up to all day?" The dog licked the girl's face as if to say the answer. Riley stroked the calico's back and scratched under her chin. "Hey, Sharpleaf."

The girl walked to the kitchen and opened a cabinet. Grabbing the bag of cat food, she used the scoop in the bag and put some cat food into a tiny silver bowl next to a bowl of water. She did the same with Charlie and put the two bags of pet food away.

Riley gave her two "babies" a pat on the back and flopped down on her Five Nights at Freddy's bedspread. She longed for sleep, but she knew it wouldn't come. Sleep... please come... Her phone buzzed.

Riley ignored it.
Her phone buzzed again.
Riley groaned and dug the device out of her pocket. She unlocked it and figured out why it had buzzed. A text message.

Riley opened the text and half-smiled.
Jake:
Hi, Sweetie. Going to be busy in school for a few more hours. Text you when I'm done. [Heart emoji]

Riley texted a reply and then laid down, Sharpleaf joining her. The cat curled up against her chest. She gently petted the calico, and she let out a purr. Checking her phone again, she saw an advertisement.

Fazbear Entertainment announces a new pizzeria set to be built by year's end!

Also, Fazbear Entertainment released a new PS4 VR game: Help Wanted!

Riley raised an eyebrow. A video game for PS4? And a new pizzeria? She kept reading. How could Fazbear Entertainment be able to get a game out?

Riley rolled her eyes and sat up, making Sharpleaf lift her head.  Feeling her stomach rumble, she made her way to the kitchen and opened the cabinet. She pushed boxes of tea bags out of the way and dug a cup of macaroni from the back. "Here we go." Riley closed the cabinet and stood up, fixing her grey long sleeve shirt.

After making the small meal in the microwave, Riley sat down on the couch with her macaroni and cheese cup. Grabbing the TV remote, she turned on YouTube and scrolled through the application until she found a FNaF animation.

Charlie got up on the couch and laid down next to her. A smile formed on Riley's face and she scratched the German Shepherd behind the ears. "Life is boring sometimes. Ain't it Charles?" The dog just looked at her in response. Riley grabbed a cover and a pillow, getting herself in a comfortable position.