Chapter 4

Lea

"Of course I'll tell him that!" I loudly whispered to Regine who's peeking in our office where Aga and I are in; we're going to talk about the freaking ring.

"Pinapaalalahanan lang kita dahil baka ma-mental block ka at ang guwapo niyang kakausapin mo," she reminded me.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever." I closed the door and looked at Aga whose back is facing me.

I faked a cough so he looked at me. I smiled, an awkward smile, because I don't know how to explain things.

"Ahm," I started while trying to find the right words to say. "First of all, hindi ko ninakaw 'tong singsing." I sharply exhaled then looked at him straight in the eyes. Malayo ang pagitan namin sa isa't isa. "I found this in a women's comfort room, sa La Bernardino."

He creased his forehead kaya kinabahan ako.

"I know nagtataka ka kung bakit ko suot. I-I was beguiled that I didn't know that I already wore it on my finger. I am very sorry, I know that it was so dumb. I looked for the owner, I've been looking for her, or for you, so that I could return the ring. Kung... pwede pa."

He creased his forehead even more. "What do you mean kung pwede pa?".

I pursed my lips and then bit its lower part dahil nakakahiyang sabihin. "I-it can't be removed... from my finger anymore," I confessed then showed my hand where the ring is.

"What?!" He walked towards me and held my left hand kaya nanlaki ang mga mata ko. "What do you mean it can't be removed?!"

"It can't be removed! I—we, we tried our best to remove it, pero hindi talaga siya matanggal. It couldn't have been on my finger if I could remove it." I avoided his gaze because of humiliation. "I can just pay for it if it's all ri-"

"Pay for it? Miss, are you kidding me? It's very important to me! It's an engagement ring! You shouldn't be wearing it from the very first pla-" He frustatedly exhaled and brushed up his hair with his hands. He did even turn around.

"I'm sorry," I whispered while looking on the floor. I just know how important the ring is for him and I felt really sorry.

"You don't have to," he said and faced me again. He walked towards my direction and held my hand again. He stared on the ring while heavily breathing.

"I'm really sorry, Aga. I know what you feel. This ring is very special, because it's for someone who's also special to you. I hope you could forgive me, I'm such an idiot." I sighed. "Nadala lang ako ng damdamin nang makita ko ang singsing. If you want, although this can't never be replaced by another ring, I will pay for your new engagement ring," I offered then smiled a little.

He looked at me and let go of my hand. "No need."

"I insist!" I told him.

"I said no need." He avoided my gaze. "Wala na rin naman kami. Perhaps she intentionally left the ring there, I just thought she kept it because that's what I wanted her to do." He sighed and looked at me again. "I'd also like to apologise, for my action and reaction. I was just shocked to see it being worn by other woman."

I looked down and bit my lower lip. "You don't have to, it's understandable." I looked at him. "And I'm very sorry for what happened, it must be really heartbreaking." I tapped his shoulder. "Your heart will be all right, Aga."

He just nodded.

"Still, what can I do to pay for the ring?" I asked.

"You don't have to, just keep it with you," he said then left me here in the office.