The Gear

(If some of you guys don't have Spotify, the song is called Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift.)

There were two little girls who were playing around in a grass field. (Y/n)'s arm was being tightly held by Hermione as they ran through the freshly cut grass in the Spring. Hermione came to a stop almost causing (Y/n) to bump into her.

"Hey! What-" (Y/n) looked at Hermione in confusion.

"I'm tiredddd" Hermione dragged out. "Let's sit down for a while" She added as she sat down and patted the spot next to her.

(Y/n) nodded but instead of sitting down, she fully laid down on the grass and admired the sky. Hermione looked at her friend and did the same.

"Do you think we'll always be together?" (Y/n) turned her head to look at Hermione, the latter doing the same.

"Hmm...I'm not sure but there's one way we can make sure of that." The bushy haired girl said as she sat back up, pulling her friend with her.

"What do you mean?" (Y/n) asked, intrigued.

"I mean...we can make a promise! A lot of people do it these days" Hermione suggested.

"So that means we can never break it...?" (Y/n) asked once more.

"Well, some can break it but a promise but it's to assure us that we'll be together forever!" Hermione cheered. (Y/n) giggled and nodded, agreeing to do a promise with Hermione. "Stick out your pinky and repeat after me" Hermione instructed as she held out her pinky in front of her.

(Y/n) stuck out her pinky and waited for  Hermione's instructions. "Like this?"

Hermione nodded and wrapped her pinky around (Y/n)'s. "Repeat after me. I, say your full name."

"Repeat after me. I, (Y/n) (L/n)"

Hermione playfully rolled her eyes at her friend and continued. "Promise to stay with Hermione forever."

"Promise to stay with Hermione forever and ever and ever" (Y/n) smiled. Hermione grinned at her.

"And I, Hermione Granger, promise to stay with (Y/n) forever and ever and ever and ever!" Hermione said.

"Hey no fair! Yours was longer!" (Y/n) hugged and crossed her arms.

(Y/n) snapped out of her trance as she looked at the similar bushy hair sitting in front of her. She reached out and tapped the Gryffindor in front of her.

"Yeah?" The girl's eyes widened.

She was faced to the familiar bushy hair, adorable freckles and same brown eyes that she stared at since she was 5.

"Hermione...?" (Y/n) hesitantly said.

"(Y/n)!" Hermione wrapped her arms around (Y/n). (Y/n) wrapping her arms around her as well. After a while, they pulled away.

"When? How-" Hermione asked but was cut off by (Y/n).

"I should be asking you the same thing missy." (Y/n) chuckled. Hermione started to tear up from guilt.

When Hermione was given a letter, she had left (Y/n) without a word. It was hard for her to leave her only true bestfriend in her hometown, but it was even harder when her parents told her that they would see (Y/n) by their doorstep every September 19, which was her birthday. She did feel bed, but since she was always dragged into Harry's...difficult situations, she had to leave (Y/n) in the dark. In hopes that (Y/n) won't be dragged into her mess.

Now that she was back for her 7th year she forgot all about (Y/n). She never married Ron, although she did date him once in 5th year, but it never worked out. They were too different, fights were always initiated which caused a huge problem in their relationship. So, they decided to stop their relationship before it even ruins the chance of them having a friendship.

Ron eventually ended up with Lavender during the war, she was about to be attacked when Ron immediately ran to save her. Hermione was supportive of their relationship. She would even tease him for talking about Lavender every chance he got.

Hermione focused on all her schoolworks that she forgot to have her own dating life. But after a while, she guessed that it wasn't her schoolwork being the problem. It was (Y/n), her subconscious buried her with schoolwork so that someday, (Y/n) would show up and finally give Hermione some sense into what life was with (Y/n). It didn't feel like books and learning were the meaning to everything. It felt like (Y/n) was the meaning to everything. She was that gear in her life that made everything make sense in it. Then that same gear in her life clicked back into place once she saw (Y/n) again.

Hermione was pulled away from her thoughts as she felt (Y/n) wiping away her tears.

"Oh love, why are you crying?" (Y/n) asked, concerned.

Hermione shook her head, "It's- I just missed you." (Y/n) gave Hermione a smile before hugging her once more. "so much" Hermione tightly hugged back.