The Gems of Tomorrow

Alban Knox the Phantom Thief: The Gems of Tomorrow

The streets were crowded with people commuting, trying to get to their destination on this misty morning. Tall buildings encompassed the narrow streets and even narrower alleyways. Billboards and neon signs advertising their wares and events dotted the city streets. High above the streets, a large screen was portraying that day's news broadcast.

"And for our final story this morning, the museum will be displaying its latest jewelry." stated the news anchor. "This latest creation has captured many eyes, both in the physical and virtual world, with its impeccable design and assortment of colored jewels. Critics claim that this piece of art is truly The Gems of Tomorrow! A showing event will be held tonight to display the piece."

The news screen then flashed to a jeweled brooch, decorated exquisitely with different colored gems. From the crowd that was gathered around the massive screen, a small cat-like smirk was plastered on a gentleman's face as he disappeared into the moving crowd once again.

At the museum, the museum director was showing the layout of the museum to VSF agents in his office. The Virtual Special Forces that arrived at the museum were led by Commander Sonny Brisko.

"The brooch will be placed in the jewelry hall, which is usually under high security, however, due to recent events, particularly in the virtual department, we've decided to have VSF come in to help out." explained the museum director, showing Sonny the location of the jewelry hall.

"Understood, we'll strengthen security as much as we can on both sides." acknowledged Sonny.

Suddenly, one of the curators slammed the door to the office open. He seemed very flustered and panicked.

"Director! We have a problem!" he exclaimed, slamming something on the director's desk.

It was a small orange and black card, the symbol of a cat was on one side, while the other was filled with writing.

To the museum director,

Your gems have caught my eye, dazzling me with their precious gleam. When the stars dot the sky, I shall take your gems and leave none for tomorrow! Nya!~

Signed,

Alban Knox the Phantom Thief

"Alban Knox?! The notorious Phantom Thief?!" exclaimed the director. "Then we need to bump security up to the max!"

"Don't worry sir, VSF will make sure that security is up to its highest standard." assured Sonny as he and his group moved out to begin preparations.

As the day moved on, VSF agents managed to set up every security detail possible. The doors and windows were affixed with thermal and metallic sensors, guards surrounded the brooch's case, the jewelry hall had hidden smokescreens, security cameras had added night vision, and regular patrols screened the area. The virtual side was handled by VSF's best virtual security fighters, who scanned and did background checks on the guests.

Why the extra mile in the physical world? Sonny Brisko has been hunting down Alban Knox for months, however the clever cat always managed to slip by every time! Today would be the day he would catch him! They may be a virtual security team, but they were still a security team nonetheless.

The day passed by, night fell, stars dotted the sky, and the event hit off without a hitch. All was going smoothly, a little too smoothly. Sonny patrolled near the brooch, and he had to admit, no wonder the Phantom Thief targeted the brooch, it was quite the sight to look at.

"An interesting piece isn't it?" came a voice from behind him. Sonny turned around and was met with a gentleman with dark hair and piercing eyes, dressed elegantly and formally for the occasion. His hair was swept back, held back by a diamond clip. "Heard it's the most valuable piece in this hall."

"It's why the VSF was called in by the museum director." explained Sonny, adjusting the weapon on his back, all VSF agents were assigned one.

"Is that so? I overheard some cadets earlier talking about some notorious Phantom Thief going after this wonderful piece of art." said the gentleman.

"Looks like I have to teach them how to keep a bit more silent." growled Sonny, not wanting to cause a public panic.

The gentleman gave a smirk, too cat-like for his liking, "Well, I hope things go well for you."

The man gave a wink and walked off, with Sonny not noticing the smirk growing nor the sight of the man's hand being tucked into his pocket. Sonny, on the other hand, just continued to stare at his direction, until he was interrupted by his radio.

"Commander! The brooch is gone!!!" came the yell of his subordinate.

"WHAT?!"