𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER ELEVENto be held accountable

CHAPTER ELEVEN
to be held accountable.

•••

ㅡ Day 28 ㅡ

LIFE was never easy for any of them, not even before they were sent to the ground. Some of them had been arrested since they were little, and being a prisoner of the Ark meant that there was always the possibility that they would be floated someday when they turned eighteen, so basically death had always loomed over them. However, to actually live in constant danger, finding their friend gone missing or dead and waiting for their turn as if it were an everyday thing was something else. It was too much for them, for they were nothing more than children thrown into an adult war. Everybody knew they weren't made for this, and yet no one cared enough to stop the madness.

As they had expected, it was all the Grounders' doing. They found Myles in the middle of the forest, alone, with two arrows pierced through him. The poor boy could barely speak when he told them about what happened to the rest of his group, that Clarke and Finn were taken by their enemies. And as if it weren't enough to take their medic and tracker, the Grounders decided to take their engineer too.

With them losing four more people before the fightㅡthey couldn't count on Myles since that boy could barely standㅡ, no one slept that night. Some of them were busy building foxholes and landmines, some were guarding the walls. Claire was treating Myles' wounds as Bellamy had ordered. With Clarke wasn't around, she was their newㅡunofficialㅡmedic.

She might know a lot about medical, but that was only from textbook. She never actually treated someone, and the fact that they didn't have any real equipment didn't help at all. But she knew they didn't really have a choice, so she still tried it anyway.

While waiting for Murphy to return to dropship with Monty's moonshine, she tried to make sure her patient was breathing okay, and that his heart was pumping, and that he wasn't losing a lot of blood from his injury. It was the standard procedure, and she was glad Myles was doing all of that. Otherwise her job would be much harder.

"Here." Murphy quickly handed her the canister he was holding as soon as he arrived. Without much thought, she took it from him and sterilized her hands with the liquid inside it, then told him to do the same since he was the one who volunteered to help her with this.

"Help me hold him down," she ordered again, and he immediately moved to the other side of the bed to give her more space to work and held Myles down from there. Myles's eyes might had been closed at the moment, but from the groans of pain escaping his mouth, it was pretty clear that he was still conscious and might find it hard to hold himself down when she pulled the arrows out of his body.

In truth, it wasn't recommended to remove arrows from the victim's body without a doctor's presence. But they weren't going to see a doctor any time soon so she thought she might as well do it for him since she knew how to do it.