Chapter 17: Who Are You

"You are very good."

"Speak for yourself."

Link and Sheik sat against the wooden fence in front of Paya's house. They had gotten up at the crack of dawn and fought for hours. Both were panting from the fight they had just had. After having fought for so long, they decided they needed a well deserved break.

"I still don't understand how you are so fast," Link said. "It's like you disappear every time I turn around."

Sheik smiled.

"You're very sneaky, too. I've never seen anyone be as quiet as you are when you move with such speed."

Sheik sighed.

Link hesitated. "Did you learn these from your past?"

Sheik placed a hand on Link's shoulder. "Link," he started. "I can trust you, right?"

Link was confused. "What do you mean?"

"Can I trust you?"

Sheik's red eyes held Link's gaze. He looked the most serious Link had ever seen.

"Of course, Sheik," he replied.

Sheik smiled. "I know I can. I just wanted to hear you say it." He took his hand back and rested his head on the fence.

"I was born here."

Link was taken aback. "What?"

"I was born in the village?"

"Kakariko?"

Sheik nodded. "I lived here with my mom, dad, and my older sister for 5 years. We were a normal, happy Sheikah family. My sister liked to paint with my mother and my dad was a musician. He played the flute... or something similar to a flute. I can't really remember now." Sheik paused.

"So what happened?" Link asked.

Sheik closed his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was the first snow Kakariko Village had seen since before the Calamity. An unexpected cold front had moved in from Mount Lanayru and covered all the way from Hateno Village to the Dueling Peaks. About a foot of snow covered the entire region. Even though the kingdom was in shambles and had been for about 87 years, the children and their parents welcomed the snow. It gave them a chance to forget about life for a while.

A 5 year-old Sheik ran out of his house into the freezing air. He felt a hand grab the back of his shirt and pull him back.

"Where do you think you're going? Look at your clothes!" his mom said. She had a big brown winter coat for him in her other hand and wrapped it around him.

"Hurry, mommy! Shayla is already out there!" he pleaded.

"Your sister can wait for you," she said. She looked at him from head to toe and nodded. "Ok Sheik. You can go."

Sheik lifted his foot to go but his mom stopped him one more time.

"I'm sorry, honey. I know I say this every time we go out, but I need to make sure you remember. If you get lost, be sure to hide and—"

"—find family," he finished.

"Yes!" He hugged his mother tight and waddled down the hill toward his older sister.

In the middle of the village stood a 12 year old girl with her mouth wide open and pointed towards the sky. Her hair hung behind her and was so blonde it almost appeared white. She wore a pointy dark blue hat that covered her ears and she wore a fluffy white jacket over her tan pants.