Chapter 1

I woke up freezing cold as you heard a loud bang coming from downstairs. There was shouting and screaming, crying. I slowly rolled out of bed gently stepping down the wooden stairs. Then I saw looking straight into the kitchen. My father had my mother pinned against the cupboard as he swiped her across the face. "How dare you disobey me!" You felt your body go cold. As your father noticed you on the staircase. As your mother dropped to the floor in tears he approached you. "I suggest you go upstairs." I was frozen to the spot my body wouldn't shake off this fear. "Are you listening to me? Go upstairs now." His hand swung towards my face as he hit my just under my eyes. My whole body jerked as I dropped to the floor screaming in pain. He grabbed my hair and pulled me back up. "Do as your told!" I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to my room as I sobbed into my pillow. Neither of my parents have ever being supportive of me or really loved me. But after my grandparents died I had no where else to go. Staying out there though has to be better than this place. I don't know how much more I can take of this.

...

The following morning on your way to school I went into the local supermarket to get your lunch, my parents never brought in anything I could make for myself because they said it was making me fat. I went down the fridge aisle as I accidently bumped into the woman next to me. "Oh my goodness I am so sorry." Her basket had fallen out of her hand. I bent down picking everything up before looking into her ocean blue eyes. "I'm so sorry."

"It's alright sweetheart, don't worry about it." She looked at my face, she stared with such worry and intent. "Are you okay?" I looked at her in confusion.

"I'm fine why is there something on my face?"

"Did someone hurt you?" I gently touched your cheek as it sort a pain through your face.

"Ouch." I pulled out a broken pocket mirror from my bag and saw the huge black mark, that had gone purple in the centre. "Oh god." I have to go. "I'm sorry I have to run." As I stood up she grabbed my arm tight.

"I know you don't know me and I don't know you but I need you to tell me what happened." I can't tell her. It's not her problem it's mine. If I tell her what will happen. My parents will just hurt me more if they find out. Maybe I can trust her. "Come on let's get the shopping and go have some breakfast somewhere." I awkwardly followed her to the till as she paid for your lunch. I felt so guilty but she insisted. After getting just a hot chocolate from the bakery I sat down. I burst into tears as the woman was still inside getting a warm sandwich for her breakfast. As I saw her approach I quickly wiped my face, hurting my cheeks in the process. "Now please tell me what happened." She slowly edged her hand out across the table towards me. I looked but I couldn't take it what if she hurts me.

"Can I trust you?"

"Of course you can sweetheart. My name is Vera what's your name?"

"Lilly."

"Well Lilly, it's a pleasure to meet such a beautiful young lady."

"Hmm." You smiled awkwardly not knowing what else to say to her.

"Now Lilly please tell me what happened."

"It was my father, I came out of my room when I heard my parents screaming at each other. He hits us both. My mother doesn't like me either but she just ignores me." Vera came around the table as she knelt in front of you as you hid your face with your hands crying once more.

"Sweetheart I'm so sorry." She placed her hands on your knees as she gently rubbed them. "It's okay." As you moved your hands slowly Vera lifted her right hand up to your face, gently rubbing your cheek with her thumb. Vera wiped the tears off your face as you looked straight into her eyes. "I just have to call someone, I'll be two minutes I promise." She pulled out her phone as she walked away from the table. Vera kept looking back over at me but I couldn't make out what she was saying. My whole body felt numb why did this woman care about me. I lifted up my shelve slightly to see the huge scratch all the way along it. It was still bleeding slightly. I got that lost in thought I didn't see Vera come back to the table. I could see the tears rolling down her face as she looked straight at my arm. I felt so guilty. No what was I meant to say. "Oh honey." She came back by my side and knelt in front of me once more. "Your going to be alright now I promise."

"How do you know. If they find out I told you."

"Honey they won't because I won't let them."

"But how are you going to stop them. You don't understand."

"Lilly listen to me. Your coming with me back to my hotel. I can't let you go home to them. I can't let them hurt you."

"They will find me though."

"How do they track you?"

"Well no. But you don't know them they will find me. I just know they will."

"I promise you'll be safe with me. I won't let anything happen to you." I felt different. I didn't feel empty like normal but I felt sort of on edge.

"Vera. I. I"

"Yes?"

"Why do you like me so much?"

"Honey how can anyone not like you. Your so sweet and kind, never mind so pretty." I began to cry again. No one has ever liked me before. I was the kid no one would ever talk to. My parents wanted me died. How can someone out of the blue really like me. "Come on let's go back to my hotel and we can talk properly."