1. How to summon a demon (accidentally)

Mingi hated having to get spellbooks for Hongjoong. He'd never tell him that because he knew Hongjoong would feel bad about it but he didn't like how the bookshop owner looked at him. Being human was tough when you are surrounded by supernatural beings. Everyone looks at you like you worth less, like you're weak and frail. Even his friends felt this in some ways. They didn't mean anything by it but he could tell that they were more protective of him because he wasn't like them.

"Yeah I need this book..."
Mingi never tried to pronounce the books name, instead he would show the shopkeeper the note Hongjoong had written for him. It saved him from embarrassingly pronouncing the Latin titles.
"Yeah sure, let me go grab it for you."
The cashiers tone was flat, not unlike most retail workers. He looked at Mingi with a slight disgust but never said anything against him. The boy was clearly friends with a high ranking witch based on the magic presence he could feel radiating from him. It was best not to bother someone with friends like his.

"This book better have a spell for more money in it cause I don't know where Hongjoong gets the money for these things."
Mingi flicked through the books pages as he walked home.
"And how does he even read any of this stuff. Like what does this even say? 'auxilium tibi et praesidium peto, cum sit de profundo'. Those aren't even real words!"
A cloud of black smoke stopped him from walking any further. It grew larger and surrounded him, wrapping around his form like tangling vines. He felt his lungs fill with the mist and began coughing, barely able to breathe.

Then, just like that, the fog disappeared. In its place, a man. He was slightly shorter than Mingi, his eyes inky black. Small curved horns protruded from his head and there were strange marking on his arms, almost like tattoos.
"I don't know who taught you Latin but your pronunciation is terrible! You need a new teacher."
Mingi jumped back in shock. It had only just hit him that he had summoned this being and he wasn't sure how to proceed without possibly dying.
"Who are you?! Wait, what are you?"
"Ohhh, I see. You didn't mean to summon me, did you?"
Mingi nodded timidly.
"No, I don't even know Latin,"
He was cut off by the mysterious man laughing.
"Of course you don't."
Something gave Mingi a sudden burst of confidence and he yelled at the man.
"I asked you questions and I want answers to them! Who are you?"
The boy laughed and extended his hand out to formerly greet the nervous boy.
"I am Y/n and I'm now your guardian demon."

"This can't be happening! Hongjoong is gonna be so mad at me. Not to mention Seongwha!"
Mingi rambled on as he continued the walk home, his new demon following a few steps behind.
"It'll be fine. I've gotta say it is so nice being in the human realm again. So much has changed since I've last been here."
Y/n sighed contently.
"So are we almost at your house?"
Mingi froze.
"You can't come home with me! It's already bad enough I accidentally summoned you but if I bring you into my house, Seongwha will kill me and then you!"
"This Seongwha guy doesn't sound very fun you know. Anyway, you're stuck with me until I've completed my duties here. Until I fulfil your request and get my payment, I can't get you out of my sight. That's the rules I'm afraid."
"What do you mean, payment?"
Y/n smirked.
"You know... I help you and you pay for my services."
The look of terror Mingi had caused the demon to laugh.
"Don't worry, I'm not one of those demons. Souls aren't my thing. Just cook me a good meal or something and I'll be able to go. Souls don't taste good anyway. Human food is so much better.

The two approached Mingi's front door. A shaking hand grabbed the handle as the human prepared himself for what would inevitably happen. The two actually made it into the house without any trouble and for a moment, Mingi thought he might escape being scolded. That was when he heard Seongwha's voice.
"Mingi get back!"
Seongwha yelled before throwing holy water at who he thought was an intruder.
"Ow! What the fuck was that for?!"
The demon felt the water burn against his skin. He looked at Mingi.
"Why summon me if you're just gonna have friends throw holy water on me! That stuff burns you know!"
"I didn't mean to summon you and you know that! It was an accident!"
Mingi felt someone hit the back of his head.
"You don't just accidentally summon a demon. You can't just trip and fall into a summoning."
Hongjoong exclaimed.
"But you can trip and fall into a human sacrifice, I would know."
"Now is not the time for jokes Woo!"

"Mingi how do you just accidentally summon a demon?"
The Angel was clearly not happy.
"I wanted to try and read from Joong's new book, I didn't think it'd do anything! I don't even know magic."
At this point, all of Mingi's housemates had gathered in the living room to discuss the issue.
"In his defence it is very obvious he doesn't know magic. I honestly don't know how it worked when his pronunciation was that bad."
Seongwha shot a glare at the demon, ready to smite him down at any second.
"I don't want to hear anything from you. I can smite you down in an instant. Consider yourself lucky I've even let you live this long."
Y/n put his hands up defensively.
"Woah! Calm down there mister Angel guy. I'm not here to hurt him. I'm a guardian demon. I do what your kind do, just with less rules to follow."
Seongwha grabbed out his dagger and pressed it against Y/n's throat. Most angels had daggers but his was slightly different. It was a relic from his past, from the wars he had to fight. On the side was a symbol that indicated his rank and it was impressive to say the least. Not many had a dagger like his as they were only given to the most powerful of angels.

"Look, I told him this earlier. I'm here to help him with whatever he wants and when I've done that, I'll collect my payment and go."
Y/n pushed the dagger away from his neck with the tips of his fingers, only for it to be pressed more forcefully against him.
"You want his soul?! If you think I won't kill you before you try that then you'll die wrong."
"Calm the fuck down captain crazy! I don't take souls, I take good home cooked meals or like maybe a pet dog. I've always wanted a dog you know. Hell hounds are a little too bony for my liking."
Seongwha lowered his dagger and sighed. Hongjoong decided to say something.
"We'll what do you want help with Mingi? The sooner we know, the sooner we can cook him a meal and he can leave."
Mingi thought for a moment.
"Well..."