V. common enemy

sunshine and cyanide
chapter five

Similar to the afterlife, James Camden also didn't believe in coincidences

Her life was too short to turn a blind eye to seemingly incoherent events. Steven's interest in Egypt, James' connection to Ammit, Steven's sudden change of character, Harrow's return to London...

She wouldn't simply ignore the blaring red alert going off in her mind whenever her thoughts would circle back to her neighbour or her old foe.

So when she got back from work to find the police standing in front of Steven's door after everything that has already been happening, she knew that this wasn't a regular investigation. It couldn't be.

She cursed under her breath as she spotted the detectives looming in front of Steven's flat, back turned towards her as she stepped out of the lift. They haven't noticed her presence yet...

How could they? They seemed too busy trying to motivate her neighbour to open the door and let them come inside.

She frowned as she saw Steven's face peeking through a small crack. Even from this distance, she could see he was nervous. His features tense and the unwillingness to follow the police's request obvious.

She had made her choice in a matter of seconds.

It wasn't the smartest choice to make, James knew, but a little recklessness hasn't killed anybody yet — ha ha.

Keeping her steps light and even, James began sneaking towards her own flat, hand searching her bag for her keys as quietly as she could. They jiggled upon contact with her hand despite her attempt. Her heart dropped but one glance to the side told her the detectives hadn't heard it thankfully.

Her eyes kept darting between her own door and the police and slowly doubt started to cloud her mind concerning her plan. It was a very bad plan, to be fair, barely worthy of being called a plan at all. Maybe 'lapse of critical thinking' would have been a better name for it.

It was a very very bad plan and James wasn't good at plans. She was awful at plans, actually. And this plan included messing with the actual police. A whole new level of 'lapse of critical thinking' if you asked her.

She was losing her mind... There was no other explanation for it.

When she reached her door her heart was pounding with every breath and James realised that going up against the law for Steven wasn't as easy on her mind as she had hoped. Even though he was in trouble and James had this little voice in her head telling her that maybe, those detectives weren't just detectives.